window will not stay up

A home owner from Wiichita KS says:
I have Alcoa windows, installed in 1992 I think it is model 2092, that is what is stamped on the glass. I had an inspection and the window will not stay up. Obviously my teenagers removed the piece needed to keep the window open, as nothing is in the track. Even the plastic guards are gone.

Please let me know what parts we need to fix, I have a rather handy fianace that should be able to fix with the correct parts.

Thank you
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! Without any balances in the windows at all, it would be very hard for me to say what you would need as a replacement. Is there perhaps another window in the house that is identical? If so, you can remove the balances from that window and upload a few pictures of them here for me to look at and identify.
A home owner from Wiichita KS says:
Thank you, Attached are 5 pics.
the first 3 show a complete working window.
the last 2 show the window I need fixed. Hopefully you can tell what i need from these. Let me know please.
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Great. It looks like you have spiral balances. I'll need some more information now that we now what it is you have.

What is the length and diameter of the balance tube? Also, what is your window sash weight? You can determine this by removing the sash from the window and placing it on a scale. Take a look at our handy tutorial for how to replace tilt-window spiral balances for more information on how to do this.
A handy person from Wichita ks says:
The window weighs 11 pounds. the window size is 35 1/2"x 35 1/5". The full length of where the balance would connect is 31.5"... I would assume the balance would need to be 1/2 that... 15.75?? It is missing so I have no idea how long it should be. I think I found what might be a model number.. hard to read: VNCSH? 47-031? 45066? any of those numbers make sense for an Alcoa window from 7-2-92? I don't know the diameter of the balance ... approx smaller than a pinky... maybe like a pencil??
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thank you for getting back to us. Unfortunately, I can't really say what you need based on this information. I see in your pictures above that you have another window that still has its balances. Is that window identical to the one you're looking to repair? If so, you can find out what you need from those balances.
A quick learner from Wichita ks says:
Good morning,
I measured the working window. It appears that the balances are 12" long and then the tube or sleeve is above that , for a total of 25 3/8" long.
Let me know if that is enough to get the parts we need. I need to get this fixed soon as closing on the house. Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom
Hey, good to hear from you again. I'm actually a little confused. What are you measuring to get 12" exactly, and why is the tube so much larger than that?
Nope sorry. The balance, which i assume is the twisted metal bar, is 12"L. it is below the tube... the tube I assume, houses the twisted bar when the window is pushed up. The overall dist from the top of the tube to the bottom of the bar (balance) is 25 3/8" long.
Profile picture of Tom
Oh, I see. I think I know what the problem is. It sounds like you're measuring the spiral balance while it's still in the window and extended. Is that correct? If so, that won't give us an accurate idea as to its length, since the spiral can extend and retract into the tube.

Usually, the length of these balances is just determine by the tube alone. What is that measurement?
ok... will measure that... wish that had been communicated earlier, just not on the same page.. sorry! Will have to get tonight and get back to you. Looking back.. it was mentioned... guess I am not as quick of a learner as I thought.. thanks!
Good morning,
The length of the tube is 16 7/8".
Let me know if you need anything more.
Thanks for your patience.
Profile picture of Tom
Awesome, thanks. I recommend you check out either our S600-17 or S900-17, depending on what the diameter of the tube is.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.