shoe on plain channel balance

A quick learner from Brooklyn says:
Hi!

Amazing website.

I have double hung tilt windows with plain channel balances stamped with 32-c-32 unique. The block and tackle balances have knife lock shoes. I believe your model numbers for my balances are the 770 and the 795. Theoretically, and without getting into the nitty gritty yet, do buyers ever need to change or custom order the shoe on their balances?

Not that I am a fan of them. The shoes are all jammed on many of my windows and are the main problem. Admittedly I didn't maintain them but will in the future! The innards of my block and tackle balances are pristine. Am I right to assume it would take a high degree of skill for a person fix only the shoes? I'm a fast learner, but not that skilled!

Thank you so much!!

Best,

Leslie
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Leslie. I'm glad you like our site! Hopefully I can help you with this project.

To answer your question right away, we do custom balance orders where we swap out the shoes on our standard Series all the time. However, it's entirely possible to swap out the shoes yourself as long as you have the right tools. I'd be happy to walk you through what you have to do.

Before we go any further, though, you mentioned you needed the Series 770 and Series 795. I'm not sure what that means. Are you saying you have a combination of the two? I'd like a couple pictures of your balance so that we can determine what you have and what can be done. Specifically, I'd like a picture of the shoe, the stamp on the balance, and the top where it installs to the window frame. If possible, please remove the balance from the window before you take your pictures. That should be enough to get me up to speed and walk you through the process of changing shoes.

Hi Paul,

Thanks so much.

I'm saying that I'm not sure if my balance is a 770 series or a 795. Maybe these pictures will help.

I removed the lower balance on one of the problem windows. Attached are pictures of: where the lower balance attaches to the top of the window frame, a picture of the stamp, picture of balance and its length, a picture of the broken shoe in this window #1. and a picture of a broken shoe in window #2. #1 has a broken pulley too, as you can see by the string hanging down. Window 2 is only vexed by a broken shoe. I'll take a closer look to determine what's going on with each of the 5-6 problem windows.

Many thanks again,

Leslie
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named top with lower balance removed.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window 1 shoe.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window 2 shoe.jpg
ps. the first picture of previous upload is sideways! Here are a few more from window 1
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named top view .jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named width and side view.jpg
Profile picture of Paul

These pictures are perfect, thank you! I see why you're confused now.

So let me go through this balance bit by bit, since it's a little bit of a mishmash. At first glance, this looks just like our Series 751, which comes with a 15-014 knife lock type shoe. However, the Series 751 has a ribbed type metal channel, while your metal channel is plain. If you're not sure about that distinction, look at this page. This should illustrate the difference well.

It also looks like you have different kinds of damage between your balances. I see one balance has a broken 15-014 knife lock shoe, while another balance has a broken pulley system. Like I mentioned before, I can walk you through replacing just the knife lock shoe, but you will probably need an all new replacement balance anyway judging by that broken pulley.

With that in mind, you have two options. You could purchase the Series 770 you picked out, which has a plain channel, and swap the little metal clip at the end of the cord for our 15-014 shoe. 

This can be a hassle, though. As such, I recommend considering letting us specially make it for you here in the warehouse; that's your second option. 

If you're interested, let me know how many you need and I can email you a special order link and price quote. If you'd rather swap the shoe and clip yourself instead, I'm more than happy to tell you our process.

Let me know!

Hi Paul,

Thank you!

I've looked over the problem windows. Yes, please send your special order link and when I've supplied you with enough info, a price quote.

I will likely be ordering 7 plain channel balances with 15-014 knife lock shoes. When replacing a lower balance, does one automatically replace both lower and upper? I definitely have 2 windows with broken upper balances.

My windows are all between 68-70.5 inches high (see window measurements below.) I'll take a look at the balances again. I hope they're all 33 inches long and the same dimensions in all ways!

Thanks again for your help. Paul.

Best,

Leslie

7 windows

A. 32.5 W x 70.5 H ---> the lower balance on this window measured 33" long
B. 32.5 W x 70.5 H

C. 32.5 W x 70 H

D. 32.5 W x 68 H

E. 34 W x 69 H

F. 40 W x 69 H
G.40 W x 69 H

Profile picture of Paul

Hey, Leslie. Sorry that we didn't get back to you right away; for whatever reason, when you responded on the 6th your post didn't pop back up into our queue. For all I knew, you hadn't responded. I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

Now, it took me a minute to catch back up, but I think I'm back on track. Looks like you have a bunch of different sized windows. We will need more than just the size of their sashes to determine what you need, though. Rather than go by the sashes, it would be easier to go by the balances themselves.

Basically, for each window (A, B, C, D, E, F, and G) I would like you to tell me the length of the metal channel and the number printed on it. I think it may be advisable to weigh each sash on a scale, as well. The reason for this is because the balance we'll be using as the base, our Series 770, uses a different rating system than yours.

Let's use window A as an example, since you gave us the stamp and length for the balance already. Your original balance has a 32-C-30 stamp, which is different than the stamps available for our S770-33. The closest we'd have for that is "33C," which can support 20 through 25 pounds. I think that will match your sash weight, but I cannot be 100% sure. That's why it may be a good idea to check in each case. If it does, then it may be enough to just weigh that sash. We could safely assume that the other balances follow the same logic. 

I also suspect that windows B and C will be the same size and strength as window A. In other words, I think they'll also be 33" long with a sash that weighs 20 through 25 pounds. However I don't know what sizes D, E, F, and G will be, or their stamps. I recommend checking all of them just to be sure.

Once I have this information, I will email you an order link and price quote for 2 of each window (one for each side). If A, B, and C are all the same as I suspect, I will probably group them together for your convenience, but I'd still like you to differentiate each window for the sake of clarity.

So, from the top, we will need the following information:

• Length of the metal channel for each balance
  • Stamp printed on each balance
  • Weight of each sash, if you aren't comfortable with us going by your old stamps

Sorry again for the long wait!

Hi Paul,

No worries! I figured something must have gone awry in the system. I'm replying now and will get to work on those 3 items per window. Thanks for the lucid instructions.

If you could kindly confirm you've received this, I'll know the problem isn't continuing or if it is, to figure out what's wrong on my end.

Many thanks,

Leslie
Profile picture of Paul

Hey Leslie! I have received this. Summer is a busy season for us, so I will try to get back to you as soon as I can. I apologize in advance for any delay. Please let us know that information at your earliest convenience. 

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for your extremely clear and easy to follow instructions.

Here's the info

1. weight of windows 2. length of channels 3. stamp on channels

A. 24/25lb 33"L stamp: 32-C-30
B. 24/25lb 33"L stamp: 32-C-30
C. 24/25lb 33"L stamp: 32-C-30
D. 24/25lb 33"L stamp: 32-C-30
E. 24/25lb 33"L stamp: 32-C-30

F. 28/29lb 33"L stamp 32-D-40
G.28/29lb 33"L stamp 32-D-40

Thanks again!

Leslie M.
Profile picture of Paul

Thank you, Leslie! I wish everyone was as thorough as you are. This information is exactly what we need, and we have everything we need to get started. 

Windows A through E will all use the same balance: The S770-33 with a 33C stamp and a 15-014 shoe. Windows F and G will use the S770-33 with a 33D option and 15-014 shoe.

I will email you two special order links right now. The first will be for 14 33C balances, and the second will be for 4 33D balances. If you want to change the quantity for either link, let me know and I'd be happy to do so.

Done! Thanks for all your help, Paul. And thanks for the compliment. :)

Best,

Leslie
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.