18" Caldwell

A quick learner from Seattle says:
I need to replace a channel balance on my double hung window. The balance measures 18" an has 17 4 AQ CALDWELL stamped on the side.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Definitely sounds like an 18" channel balance with a 1740 stamp option. You verified the length already, so you still need to verify the option, and determine the Series.

Start by identifying the Series based on the channel balance guide, which will have you compare your plastic attachments to our selection.

Once you determine the Series, verify your option by weighing the sliding window sash and comparing to the chart on the item webpage. Check the chart to tell what the weight range for a 1740 option is, and make sure your sash falls within the range. If it doesn't, select the option that works for your weight.
A quick learner from Seattle says:
Hi Mike,
Thanks for your reply. My channel balance with a 1740 stamp option looks like 3 different models. I cannot distinguish if it is an S350, S380 or S385. It's 1/2 inch wide with no holes in the side channel and 4 bumps on the side. Attached are 3 pictures.
Which one do you think it is?
All the Best,
Anne Totah
Channel balance
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It's S380-18 or S385-18. Series 350 is definitely not it. Measure your bottom shoe to determine which you need. Series 385 uses the plastic shoe shown below, measuring 1-3/32", and the Series 380 uses a 1" shoe instead.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.