34" tall x 1/2" U channel balance using string connecting to pivot shoe

A quick learner from Massachusetts says:
need to replace balances and pivot shoes for tilt in vinyl double hung windows with U shaped channel balances using string exiting from the bottom of balance connecting to the pivot shoe.
The U Channel Balance dimensions: 34"tall, 1/2"width and depth.

Balance is stamped near the bottom +DB 34C and there appears to be a rivet in bottom hole as seen in photo showing bottom of balance with string exiting the bottom
There appears to be a rivet in the 3rd hole down from top of balance seen in photo showing top of balance with screw fastened into jamb.

Pivot shoe pictured is 1-3/16 or 1-1/4"wide x 2"high x 1/2"depth.

window sash weigh 32 pounds using a bathroom scale and measure

unknown window manufacturer, installed 20 or more years ago.

Is the channel balance using string to pivot shoe something you have seen before?
Any help with these items would be appreciated.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named top of balance .jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named bottom of balance .jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pivot shoe.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sure, this is a very common balance. I recommend our Series 770, in fact. I think you'll agree that this is a good match to your old hardware.

Thanks for the speedy reply!!
the series 770 balance dimensions will work in my track.
To confirm for a 34" length balance and a 32lb window I'd order a 770-34D,
Your 15-188 pivot shoe should work given the dimensions I measured of my existing shoe 1-1/4"w x 2"h x 1/2"d.
no need at this time for terminal clip as the 770's come with a terminal clip.

I've got 18 double hung windows, some open/close readily others are difficult, perhaps string or shoe failure on one side or both sides of sash. the photos I sent were from an easy to raise bottom sash, mission now is to examine all upper and lower sash to ID any problem sash.

another question- If I find an existing balance where the string failed can I purchase just the string used in the 770 block and tackle balances to re-string an existing balance?

Look forward to your reply. Thanks again.
Profile picture of Tom

You really do your homework. Everything seems to check out, though I don't think the 15-188 is what you want in this case. The cam is a lot bigger than on your old pivot shoe and may not interact properly with your old pivot bar. Consider instead our 15-129. This looks like it might be a better match.

Concerning the strings, I'm afraid that's not something we sell. I don't believe any company does. These can be very difficult to replace since the balances are under a very precisely calibrated tension. I recommend just replacing the balances; it will be easier and your windows will function better for it.

thanks for checking over my part list, specifically the recommended change to using the 15-129 pivot shoe.

Attached is photo of existing pivot bar measures 3/8" wide and projects out from sash +/-3/8" please confirm that my existing pivot bar will work with pivot shoe 15-129?

I looked at another sash that was difficult to open, removed the window and discovered that the terminal clip was not connected to the left side pivot shoe but was still attached to the string up against the bottom of the balance. I unlocked the shoe and moved it up the channel re-locked it and pulled down the terminal and reattached it to the shoe. I then removed the jamb liner to check the balance and discovered it was a 34B: the B rating will assist sash weights from 16-22 lbs. My sash weigh +/-32lbs.
I then removed the jamb liner on the right hand side and sure enough that side also had a 34B balance. A minor mystery as to why that window has 34B balances installed.

So next step is to check all hard to open sash. will be ordering at least a pair of series 770-34D's to replace the 34B's I found and whatever other parts I discover that need replacing.

Thanks for your attention to detail and quick replies.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pivot bar.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us! That pivot bar looks like our 26-368, but this isn't compatible with the 15-129. That is curious. Perhaps your shoe is different after all, though I'm not sure what else it could be. I personally think our 26-040 would be a better fit for your window. As long as it's one screw hole position matches up to your window then it should work well.

As for your stamp option being wrong to begin with, that's more common than you think. A lot of installers kind of just put in whatever they have on hand at the time, either because they're under a time crunch or, to put it bluntly, because they didn't know what they were doing. It happens all the time, unfortunately.

Please let me know if you had any questions.

Thanks for the quick reply. Regarding the pivot bar shoe compatibility issue you bring up. I will remove another sash and measure the pivot shoe cam opening that the pivot bar engages with Inside diameter, depth, and opening that the pivot bar passes thru with a vernier caliper and measure the existing pivot bar again. and check for hole compatibility of the 26-040 with existing pivot bar.will attach pivot shoe cam sketch when complete.

question regarding the balance strength values A-D. See my first inquiry of May 31 the installed balance I have is a 34C, I assume the other side is also a 34C My lower sash weigh +/- 32 lbs. should they have used 34D balance and would they lift easier with 34D's or worse would they not stay??
Look forward to your comment re; balance question. THanks again
Profile picture of Tom

If your sash is around 32 pounds then the 34D is definitely the right call. With 34C balances you may have noted that your windows are difficult to open over the years. Maybe it felt like it was stuck close, and maybe they even drifted down a little after you opened it. Those are all symptoms of a weak spring. Opening and closing a window with properly calibrated balances should be effortless. 

good afternoon, attached are photos and dimensions of the pivot shoe and pivot bar from a lower sash. please take a look.
I will stand by for your comments.
Thanks again.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named dimensions .jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pivot bar bottom view.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pivot bar top view.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named shoe pic 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named shoe pic 2.jpg
good evening, I removed a pivot bar from a lower sash and then I looked thru the pivot bars on swisco website and found pivot bar 26-083 which dimensions match up real close difference being the end of my pivot which engages the shoe cam is flared from 0.312" to 0.387+/- length of flare is 0.125" see attached photo of existing pivot bar and screen grab of swisco pivot bar 26.083.
Not knowing the cam dimensions of your recommended shoe 15-129 but from the screen grab it appears my existing pivot shoe might work. Will await your review and recommendation.
Look forward to hearing from you. Appreciate your help with this.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pivot bar with  dimension .jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named pivot 26-083 .png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 15-129 .png
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! If your old pivot shoe is still in good condition then I highly recommend reusing it. That will likely make this pivot bar business a lot easier to deal with in the long run.

I can guarantee that the 26-083 can work with the 15-129, anyway. The 26-083 and 26-040 are pretty much the same part, the 26-083 just has different hole positions, which seem to match your original better anyway.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.