34x60 window - help identifying coils

A landlord from Baltimore says:
To whom it may concern. I own and manage 24 rental properties in Baltimore. Some of the windows need replacement springs and I am wondering if, based on the attached photos, you could give me your best guess for what parts I need to order. The windows are 34x60 (which hopefully will help guess the coils strength as a well.

I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
Franco
Platinum Apartments LLC
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20220509_163446070.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20220509_163450813.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20220509_163502580.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20220509_163807760.MP.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20220509_163133403.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Franco.

I'm afraid I can't tell what you need from these pictures. Your pivot shoe is too obscured since its still in the track. The best way for us to ID what you have is to see your hardware removed from the window. 

The window size also doesn't tell us what coil strengths are needed. You'll need to look for any stamps on the springs themselves. If there aren't any, you'll have to weigh the sash on a scale and divide the weight by the number of coils on both sides of the window to determine the correct strength option.

Thank you for your reply. Makes sense and I suspected that. I'll remove one of the broken balances/coils, and will weigh the sash to be sure. I will be in touch within a week or two.

Thanks
Profile picture of Emily

Great! I will be here to help. 

Hi Emily,

Please see the new photos which also include dimensions. The spring has an 8 stamped on it, the brake has a 4 on it. I weighted the sash at 20lb, though.

Let me know if this is sufficient.
Thank you,
Franco
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Depth.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spring.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Assembly 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Brake.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Width.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

This is perfect, Franco, thank you! We've seen this shoe a few times in the past and we don't have an exact match for it but our 15-228 is very similar in design to your original. Compare our dimensions with yours to see what you think. This pivot shoe is designed to use the 1/2" thick Series 160 and 3/8" thick Series 165 coil springs. You'll need to measure your old coils to determine which one will be best for your window.

If your springs are 1/2" thick and if you have a total of 4 springs in the window, you can use (1) S160-4 4.5 pound spring and (1) S160-5 5.5 pound spring on both sides of the window which totals 20 pounds of overall support. 

However, if your springs are 3/8" wide and if you have a total of 4 springs in the window, you can use (2) S165-5 5 pound springs on both sides of the window which will also total 20 pounds of overall support. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thank you. This is very helpful. I attached one last picture showing the width of the spring itself. It's not quite 1/2 inch but am I correct to assume that half inch is just a nominal dimension and that the springs are are actually a little less than half?

Considering the attached picture, could you give me a list of all the parts I need? For example, do I need something so support the springs? And what part do the springs attach to at the top (at the opposite end of the pivot shoe).

Thank you,
Franco

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spring width.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Hmm, that's a bit odd. I'm actually not sure if our S160 will work for you since your coils aren't 1/2" thick. I'm going to have one of our senior experts take a look and see what he thinks. We will reach out to you right here on this page the moment more information is available.

Thank you!

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Franco. 

Thank you very much for waiting. I believe our 1/2" Series 160 coil springs will work for your window. For a new double coil support, see our 15-150D. With this support, you would hook the bottom coil spring to the top opening on the 15-228 pivot shoe, similar to your old setup. The top coil spring will hook on the lower coil spring in the square cut out hole. The 15-150D double support just holds the coil springs in place, it isn't a case like your old coil spring housing.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.