9 lb Series 152 Coil Balance

A quick learner says:
Hey, need some advice on how to handle two single hung windows that fall when lowered down. They don't fall fast, as if they had broken connections, it's just that they close on their own and won't stay up.

I never had a problem with them until a glass company changed the glass in them. I was first suspect of the coil balances being worn, so purchased the correct ones (9 lb Series 152) from you in a previous order, but that did not solve the problem. The glass company said the glass they replaced was 3/16, but the replacement glass was a a little bit thicker and heavier and that's what is causing the problem.

My question is, what can I do if the proper fitment coil balance only goes up to 9 lbs.? I'm thinking I need something rated around 11-12.

Anyway, I need to come up with some kind of way to create more resistance on current balances or some how convert what's there to something else. Home is for sale and has a contract, and buyers used a home inspector and he has brought out the window problem. Have to fix it for the sale.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You could always divide the weight up among more springs. If your sash weight exceeds 18 pounds, then you'd use 2 springs on each side instead of 1. 

The question now is just a matter of what you'd use. If you give me the exact weight of your sash, we can tell you what Series 152 spring will work for your sash.

A quick learner says:
I'm confused on how i would attach more than one spring on each side. The shoe will only accept one? The old springs had the #9 stamped on them, that's why I purchased and tried new 9 lb. springs
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, I understand that. But your new glass makes the sashes heavier, which means that only 9 pounds of support on each side isn't enough. Your sash is no longer 18 pounds, so we need to figure out how much it actually weighs so we can get you the right springs.

The Series 152 is compatible with three different pivot shoes (15-175, 15-177, and even our 15-158), each of which can hold 2 springs. I don't know what you have, exactly, but odds are yours works the same way. I've never come across a pivot shoe that can only hold 1 spring.

We don't have springs that exceed 9 pounds on each side. I'm afraid your only option is to double up. This is a very common solution to the issue you're experiencing. 

If you wanted to be 100% sure, show me a picture of your pivot shoe out of the window and without obstruction and I can tell you what is compatible with it. I also still need the exact weight of your sash. Please be as precise as possible. It's important that we get the exact weight of the sash. Guesses won't do.

A quick learner says:
The house is sitting vacant, so not there now to check weight of sash, but will the next time I go there. In the mean time, I have these two pics in my phone from the last time I was there, that shows the shoe and 9lb. coil. Once we get all this weighed out, I will definitely need some instruction on how to add multiple tape coils to window frame that al attach to just one shoe. I'm still not sure how one would go about that, as there is only one spot on frame for one tape coil.
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, well here's one issue: you don't have the Series 152 spring. That pivot shoe is an older version of our 15-180, which is designed to work with our Series 190 instead. Both the Series 190 and Series 152 are 1/2" thick, but the Series 152 isn't supposed to work with your shoe. It may install fine temporarily, but over time you'd start to notice issues. The Series 190 is definitely what you want.

The good news is, your shoe can definitely take two springs. One screws on one side, and the other screws on the other side. You'd also need a new retainer for the extra spring; specifically, our 15-181 and an extra 15-182 bushing. You should be able to re-use your existing bushing but you can get two new ones if you wanted to be safe.

All we need know is the weight of the sash to calculate the proper spring strength. 

A quick learner says:
OK. Went over there and pulled one of the assemblies off the window. See attached pics. The pics are of an original window assembly. I weighed the windows that were re-glassed. They now weigh 26 lbs .
A quick learner says:

Hey, been reading your last post a little closer. My old spring, which you may be able to see with some clarity in last pics sent, looks exactly like those 152's that I bought from Swisco the other day. My old ones had a 9 stamped on them too and they are identical in color (copper) as well. Hopefully my new pics shed even more light on the subject. Home is not that old either. Was built in 07. The shoes work fine with the 152's. No need to change them as long as we can find a configuration in springs that equal around 26 lbs.

Could you also verify what you mean when you said, "One screws on one side, and the other screws on the other side". The reason I ask is: both sides of frame already have a shoe and (9 lb.) coil on it's side.

A quick learner says:
Sorry to keep adding to this but have been reading some other posts and see there is a double clip that can be incorporated to "double up". So, after you've read through all my latest posts, and if that is where you are sending this thing, keep in mind I already have eight 9 lb coils, so if they would work with the system you might suggest, i could still utilize them.
Profile picture of Tom

When I say one spring screws to one side and the other spring screws to the other side, I'm specifically talking about the shoe. If you look at both sides of the shoe itself, you'll see it has two screw holes.

You can stick with the Series 152 if you want, but I want you to keep in mind that there may be issues in the  future. The Series 152 is not designed to work with your window.

As for sash weight, since you already have two 9 pound springs then I suppose you could use two 4 pound springs, as well. You'd use one 9 pound and one 4 pound for each pivot shoe. Make sure they're stacked symmetrically; what I mean by that is, if you put the 9 pound spring on bottom and the 4 pound spring on top, make sure you do this for both sides. I think this should work.

A quick learner says:
If you had another series that would work better, could you give me a parts list for all parts needed? I'm willing to change the shoes too if necessary. I need this to work as best as I can for the buyer. I have two windows that need updating to the 26 lb. weight. Your last post did not mention a double roller type shoe, so it sounds like at the least, i would need 4 lb coils and some kindof rollers for them?
A quick learner says:
By the way, this pic shows all the parts for one side. I am sure you know their is a roller retainer under the plastic shield that has a hole in for the screw. Any way, I am unclear how to attach an extra coil. Yes, I do see another screw hole unused on one side of shoe, but it seems to me I would need to stretch out an additional coil some to be able to attach it to the other side, as well as needing additional "roller and plastic shield"? Or....do i need some special carrier to carry "stacked" coils?
Profile picture of Tom

The roller retainer you're talking about is called a bushing. I mentioned it back on the 15th. The bushing I recommended was our 15-182. I also mention here that you need a new retainer that can handle two springs. I suggested our 15-181. I highly recommend rereading my posts above to clear up any confusion.

If you want to go with the recommended Series 190 instead of the Series 152, then you should use one S190-540 and one S190-640 S190-840 on each side. Like I mentioned before, you want to make sure these are stacked symmetrically.

To install a second spring, you just screw it on and stretch it up to fit on the second peg on the 15-181 double retainer.

A quick learner says:
OK. Clearer now. One clarification though. You said to use one S190-540 and one S190-640 on each side? Our target weight is 26 lbs. Wouldn't that config just support 22 lbs.?
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, you're right, sorry. That was a typo. I meant to type S190-840 instead of S190-640. Hopefully that clears things up.

A quick learner says:
Got it. thx for all your help!
Profile picture of Tom

It was my pleasure! Thanks for ordering with us, as always, and please let me know how it works out. If you run into any issues then we'll definitely take care of you.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.