Aluminum Window - Channel Balance

A home owner from Lakeland, FL says:
Please identify. Windows are 40 years old. Non-tilt. 1/2" channel width. Metal length is 26".
IMG_2982.jpg is the top
IMG_2981.jpg is the broken top with the balance number 2430
IMG_2985.jpg is the bottom
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2981.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2982.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. We can help you replace your channel balances, but I will need to see one removed from the window. Pictures of the nylon attachments at either end of the metal channel will be most helpful for identifying the type of balance you need. You also should confirm the length of the metal channel, not including the nylon attachments, as 26" would be an odd length for a balance with that stamp number of 2430. 

It also appears you may need to replace your Top Sash Guides. The Top Sash Guides are the corner pieces of the window sash that prevent the channel balances from shooting up to the top of the window. We can help you replace these also, but we will need to see one removed from the sash, preferably undamaged. Mugshot pictures of the front and side are usually the most helpful for these. Many thanks.

Profile picture of Bob

Take a look at the video below. Perhaps this may provide some insight.

I am not sure how to remove the window to get to the channel balance since I do not have any pop out clips. Any suggestions on how to remove the window? I cannot find any video online showing me how.

I have no take out clips. How do I remove the channel balance?
Profile picture of Bob

You could theoretically use a screw as a temporary measure. You'd drill a hole and then install a screw so that it sticks up a little. This will act more or less the same way as a take out clip. Once the balances are changed out you can remove the screws so that nothing will interfere with the window's operation.

Photo of top of window area. No take out clip.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E8AD997F-5882-4963-ADD2-2A1A0538EC13.jpeg
First balance. Help me determine part number. Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2994.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2995.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2997.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3007.JPG

Smaller balance. Please help identify. Thanks. 1/2", 23" metal length, 2220

What about weather stripping? If you do sell, what do I need? Thanks.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3020.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3021.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3027.JPG
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Many thanks for all the photos. It appears you have an S390-25 Channel Balance as well as a S390-23 Channel Balance. Just confirm that the size of your old balance's nylon attachments match what is listed on the Series 390 product page. For the S390-25, you will need a stamp option of 2430. For the S390-23, you will need a stamp option of 2220. 

For your top sash guide, please compare the dimensions of our 18-009 to your old part. You are correct, you are missing the 16-002 take out clips. The small slot and larger square is a notch in your window track in photo # F-5882-4. See the media guides associated on this page for further assistance. For the weather stripping, we will need the width of the bottom backing and height of the wool pile. 

Weatherstripping width of bottom backing = 0.187".
Wool Pile height = 0.20"

Thanks.
Profile picture of Bob

I'm not sure if we have a wool pile quite with those dimensions. Our closest option might be the 58-127, which has a 3/6" base and a 1/4" pile height. The base should match your old pile, but the pile is a bit high. What you could do though is give the wool pile a 'shave'. Use a single edge razor blade, or a paint scraper like our 75-046, and then run it down the length of the wool pile, cutting down the height. Just keep in mind that modified products are non-refundable. Take a look and see what you think. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify replacement weatherstripping.
How to identify replacement weatherstripping.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
How to replace wool pile weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
How to Cut Out Pile Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
How to Insert and Remove the HYDE Razor Scraper Blades
How to Insert and Remove the HYDE Razor Scraper Blades
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.