Attaching sash to pivot shoe

A quick learner from Jacksonville Beach, Fl says:
I have the Acorn single hung aluminum window with spiral balance. Where and how does the sash attach to the pivot shoe? Your tutorial doesn't show this very well.
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:
Hello,
I'm not sure which video you were looking at but take a look at the one below. There are pivot bars in the lower corner of the sash that engage with the pivot shoes, keeping the sash in the frame. To remove the sash, you would need to lift the sash a few inched above the sill and pull in the tilt latches on either side to tilt the sash toward you. 
From there, you would pop one side of the sash out of the corresponding pivot shoe at a time. Our experts make this look like an easier process than it often is but with some elbow grease, you'll be able to remove the pivot bars from the shoe cams. Thank you. 
My problem is reinstalling the window. I don't have much room to maneuver the sash and the pivot bar doesn't want to go in place unless the sash is vertical. I may try to remove the bar on one side, prop up the sash in place, install the bar in the pivot shoe, and then secure the bar to the sash. I haven't received my replacement balances yet, may have to reorder them. My sash is heavy, unlike the one on U-tube. I'm trying to send a picture.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Is the AAMA metallic sticker still on the top of the window track window? If so, please take a close up photo of it for us. 

Also, may we see the top tilt latches, which might help us to identify the series window to further assist you. Thank you!

Sending photos
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Paul

Thank you for the additional information. I went into the Acorn archives and found the Series 3000 window, which appears to be what you have. The pivot shoe is our 15-046 and the pivot bar would be the 26-040

Because you can't tilt the sash in, you are correct in trying to reinstall the sash in the vertical position. The pivot bar should look like our 26-040, which has a set screw. You would loosen the set screw and slide the pivot bar into the sash, set the sash in the track and slide the pivot bar into the 15-046 pivot shoe.

I received the spiral balances for my Acorn window and installed them. I attempted to attach the sash to the pivot shoes, and after numerous attempts put the sash in place without attaching it to the balances. I think the design is not at all user friendly. The pivot rod must be at the correct angle to fit in the pivot shoe. It's a hit or miss situation and I couldn't get the cumbersome sash to go in place. There must be a trick to it or a two person operation. I have tried to send photos but apparently they aren't getting through
Profile picture of Paul

Since you can't tilt the sash in, the pivot shoes won't lock in the track. Because of that, you can't remove the sash by twisting the sash to remove the pivot bars from the pivot shoes, which is the common procedure. The method we discussed above is the only method I can see working.

If you aren't able to do it, you may want to have a local professional familiar with these windows come out and do it for you.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.