Balance Spring for CertainTeed double hung window

A quick learner from Hawaii says:
I have 3 ea, 4040 double hung, Newcastle Series, Dual Glaze Low-E Clear Glass windows. Purchased in 2006. Had been receiving replacement balance springs SA336 for springs that continually break. (They have stopped replacing springs.) One window (replaced due to moisture) weighs 22.8 lbs. The other windows weigh 19 lbs.
All windows cannot stay open/closed. What do you recommend?
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. I'm fairly confident we can replace this balance system for you, but I want to be safe and confirm we know what components we're working with. Can you show us pictures of the pivot shoes that the coil balances attach to? The identity of the pivot shoe determines the Series of coil balance needed. From there, we'll work out what you need for each window. Many thanks.

Photos attached
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A6B20A27-9C6A-42D2-9E88-AEEE75F55904.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named SA 336 stamp
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me; perfect, this is exactly what I needed. Your pivot shoe looks like our 15-192. This is compatible with our Series 170 and Series 171 Coil Balances. If you need just one coil spring on each side of the sash, then you'll only need the Series 170. Specifically, your stamp code suggests you need the S170-336, which is meant to hold 6 lbs of weight individually. Let me know if you have any other questions.

The S170-336 cannot support the weight of the windows. One window weighs 22.8 lbs. The other windows weigh 19 lbs.
What do you recommend?
Profile picture of Bob

In that case, you're going to have to divide the weight between multiple different springs. Specifically, you'll need two on each side.

I recommend using our S170-406 (6 pounds) and S171-405 (5 pounds) on each side of the sash. These four springs should add up to 22 pounds of support. You want to install the S170-406 on the bottom and the S171-405 on top. You'll also need a second 15-156 cover for support, as well as another 15-157 bushing.

I have a very similar situation, double hung, 23 lbs and 19 lbs each.
Would you recommend S170-406 and S171-406 on each side of the 23 lb window? These four springs should have 24 lbs of support.
For the 19 lbs window: S170-405 and S171-405 on each side. 20 lbs of support.

What do you recommend?
Profile picture of Bob

Being within 1 pound of the actual sash weight works fine. So, if the window indeed weighs 23 pounds, using the S170-406 6 pound spring and S171-406 6 pound spring on both sides of the sash equals 24 pounds and should operate well. Similarly, for a sash that weighs exactly 19 pounds, a pair of S170-405 and S171-405 on each side, to equal 20 pounds overall, should work. 

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.