Balance assembly

A quick learner from Mechanicsburg, PA says:
I need a balance assembly for my double hung window serial number 113-716538. It is a double coil assembly 3.5 inches long, 1.25 inches wide and 0.5 inches deep.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4AF857FB-956E-4F1F-90AE-310DA7EE400D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6D6E2A1B-1710-4C10-9306-CFB713ED4524.jpeg
I now see you stock the coil springs which can be replaced. Mine are 3/8 inches wide
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for this information. It's a great start, but I still need a bit more before I make a recommendation. Specifically, can you show me a picture of the pivot shoe your springs connect to?

Thank you so much!
See photos. If you need me to remove the pivot shoe from the channel, let me know
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C9F9D5B4-3019-410A-A4E8-8972C2728BEF.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 528D8C25-F26D-4B3F-A568-CF6F93B2D19F.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you, that's a big help. Your pivot shoe here is a match for our 15-177, which is designed to work with the Series 152 spring. The problem is that this spring is 1/2" thick, not 3/8". You may want to double check that measurement to be safe.

As for removal, the video below may help.

Thanks again!
The coil spring is definitely 3/8" wide. The 1/2" size will not fit the channels.
Correction: the channels are 1/2" wide but the coils are only 3/8"
Profile picture of Tom

That is odd. I'm not aware of any coil in this style but with a 3/8" thickness. Are there any numbers or letters stamped on the end of the spring? If so, can you tell me what they are, or show me a picture? That may offer a clue.

The ends of the coils have a hole to receive a screw that attaches them to the pivot shoe (see photo). The ends are marked 9 5 L.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1C0A06B5-1642-4748-8A54-E9398ABBE9D4.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B8D6E063-CFE2-4EFA-B734-7F4FF188C725.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D42C9823-E54D-4923-B17D-954172168C79.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Like Tom said, we have the 15-177 pivot shoe, but those 3/8" coil springs aren't something we can provide. We only have those in 1/2". 

We can still help, but you'll need a new style balance system. I recommend considering our 15-191 pivot shoe along with two S165-3 and one S165-4 coil spring. I also recommend the 15-205 coil spring support. You will also need to replace the pivot bar with something like the 26-454.

Please review these parts and let us know if you had any questions.

Hello Tom and Paul,
The descriptions for the S165-3 and S165-4 coil springs indicate that they are 3/8 inches wide!
-Nick
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

That's correct. That's the size you need, which is why I recommended them. But in order to use them, you have to get a new style shoe, which is why I recommended the 15-191 pivot shoe as well.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.