Balance assembly for Simonton windows 408S or 4085

A home owner from Rockville MD says:
I need to identify and order the correct parts to repair my Simonton sash windows
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

This looks like a Simonton coil balance which isn't made anymore, but take a look at our 15-259 pivot shoe and Series 159 coil balances. The video below will walk you through the installation process and the parts we recommend. 

If you're not sure what coil weight you need, you'll need to remove and weigh your window sash. Then, you'll divide the weight by the number of coils on both sides of the window to determine the correct strength option.

New info: Simonton 5500 windows were installed June 2011. Two new pictures are included. One is of the undamaged part, and the other is of the coil spring that was in the damaged part. It has a number on it. I need new parts for two windows. How do I order them? Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 04ECE816-92BC-468F-81EF-92E6A7994590.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3393BB92-D20A-4EC1-A9E6-AE320F459F04.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

All orders can be placed directly on our website at your convenience. I'm not sure what coil weight you'd need, though. If you can give me the precise sash weight and the total number of coil springs in the window, I can work out what you need. 

The window sash weighs 13 pounds and there are two coil springs one on each side of the window.
Profile picture of Emily

If your sash weighs exactly 13 pounds, you can use (1) S159-6 6.5 pound coil spring on each side of the window. This totals 13 pounds of overall support. 

The sash weighed 12.5 pounds the first time I weighed it and 13 pounds the next two times.
Profile picture of Emily

As long as the spring weights are within a pound of your sash's actual weight, this setup should work for you. 

So far I have coil balances and coil pivot shoes in my basket. How do I order the pivot bars and coil supports? Sorry. I'm a senior citizen and I've only gotten this far because of your help!
Profile picture of Emily

No need to apologize! I've listed the parts mentioned in the video I linked you to previously on this page. All orders can be placed directly on our website or by phone to our customer service department at (888) 991-1929. Their phone hours are 8AM - 4:30PM EST. 

Let me know if you have any questions! 

I ordered them on your website! Thank you for all your help, Emily.
Profile picture of Emily

It was my pleasure. Thank you for your business! Let me know if you need anything else and good luck with the repair! 

Hi Emily, the window with the broken coil balances and coil pivot shoes that we discussed earlier are now fixed! But the top sashes of two windows are broken and they only stay up if the windows are locked. Would you please explain how to fix the upper sashes so they won't fall down and what parts I will need?
Profile picture of Emily

I'm glad to hear your windows are back in action! Regarding the top sashes, the replacement process will be the same as shown in the video I linked you to before. However, if you need to make a new cut out to remove the pivot shoe, the placement of the cutout will be different for the top sash. If your window already has a cutout, you won't need to worry about making a new one. 

Keep in mind, if the top sash is a different size from the bottom one the coil strengths will be different. If that's the case, we recommend weighing your sash and then divide the weight by the number of coils on both sides of the window to determine the correct strength option. 

Let me know if this makes sense or if you had any questions. 

Hi. The upper sashes weigh 11.5 each. If I divide by two that equals 5.75 so would the

5.5 lbs Series 159 Coil Balance be the correct part for the upper sashes? 

And Will the Coil Balance Pivot Shoes 15-259, 3/4" Coil Single Supports 15-255, and the 2 1/2" Pivot Bars26-083 fit the smaller 5.5 lbs Series 159 Coil Balance on the upper sashes?

Profile picture of Emily

Yes, if your sash weighs 11.5 pounds and has 2 springs total in the window you can use one S159-5 5.5 pound spring on each side of the window. This totals 11 pounds of overall support; so long as the spring weights are within a pound of your sash's actual weight, this setup should work for you. 

If you only have one coil spring, you'll need the 15-255 Coil Single Support. I'm not sure I understand your last question, however. The 26-083 pivot bar is fully compatible with the 15-259 pivot shoe. 

How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.