Balance and sash lock

A quick learner from USA says:

I am a homeowner attempting to repair several Quaker tilt windows with inverted block and tackle balances. I think I have figured out most of the parts that I need, but there are a few that I am having trouble finding matches for.

I will start by identifying the matching parts I feel confident of, in case that helps:

Side mount pivot bar 26-402

Inverted Link 15-224

Tilt Latch Set 26-464

Apart from all my broken pivot bars and inverted links, the biggest issue is that I need to replace two sets of balances. The broken balances are stamped 31E B.S.I. P.A. I gather that 31 refers to the length in inches, and that E refers to the weight of the sash, which makes sense because these are wide, heavy windows. The balances look most similar to your series 795 and 765 channel balances, since the block and tackle mechanism is at the top and the spring is at the bottom. (I have included some photos below.) I believe the original balances may have been Series 716. I think the closest match I can find on your website is probably the 795. In mine, however, the cord coming from the top of the balance connects to the window frame via a metal clip, whereas the 795 looks like it screws in. That seems like it should be fine, and in fact will hopefully make the replacement easier; I found the clips very difficult to work with. The 795 comes with a lock balance shoe that is different from what I need, but it looks from the photo like it may be compatible with the 15-224 inverted link, which is what I need. Can you confirm whether that should indeed be the case? If not, can you recommend another channel balance that should meet these requirements?

The other parts that I need are some locks. The recess where those mount appears to be the same size and shape as your 90-281 flush mount lock; however, the mounting screws are a different side altogether (see photos below). Do you think that would work, or do you have any suggestions for a better match?

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balances1.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balances2.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named balances3.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sweep lock 3.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sweep lock1.JPG
A quick learner from USA says:
additional photo
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sweep lock2.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello there! I agree with the parts that you picked out for this window, they all seem to match up fairly well. The balance assembly would be custom; specifically, the Series 795 but with the bottom shoe removed and replaced with the 15-224 inverted link. These just pop on and off so swapping them isn't really a big deal.

The catch is that your balances install using a hook instead of a screw-tab. It's not easy to adapt a screw-tab to your window, unfortunately. It's not as easy as just drilling a hole. The good news is that we can custom make this configuration for you here in our shop before we ship it out.

Does that interest you at all? To reiterate, this would be a 31" long S795-31 channel balance but with the bottom shoe swapped out for our 15-224 and the top hook swapped out for our 15-198. We would also be using the 31E stamp.

If you wanted to pull the trigger on that, just confirm how many you wanted altogether and I will email you a purchase link that will allow you to add those balances to your cart. That way you can checkout with everything all at once. 

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.