Balancers and release clips

A quick learner from La Quinta, CA says:
I need to identify and order replacement for windows using this balancer. If you need more information please let me know.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B4F8D662-4A44-46E0-8FA2-B1E0F320EE77.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 32D12B78-54F6-4A91-9E60-9C2603F434C6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B73E268F-1424-412A-94F0-631B555441A6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 508A2FC7-4A38-4827-B8B8-E226882A921C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EA87D650-30A2-4DD8-8FC4-67BBD8BC526F.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Your balance here looks like a good match for our Series 395. This comes with a 19-005 top and 15-001 bottom nylon fitting, so as long as those match up then I think it would work well as a replacement.

Also will need clips and no windows have them. What information, if any, do you need?
Profile picture of Tom

That depends on what a clip is, in this instance. There are about a dozen different components on a balance and window that I would call a clip. Can you specify as to exactly what its function is? Can you also show me where on the window they installed?

Without a reference, it will be difficult to know for sure what you need, but I will do my best.

Fits in the slots and, when snapped out, catches the top of the balancer
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B8E715C5-2611-430E-BF82-84F1BCEE4F59.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Gotcha, sounds like the take out clip. The most common pairing with the balance in question is our 16-002. I think there's a good chance this is what you want, but loo kit over and see what you think.

The dimensions of the existing slots are:

• 1 inch apart
  • 1/8 x 3/8 inch

Are these slots compatible with the clip you mentioned?

Profile picture of Tom

They're a little wide, to be honest. That may not matter, but ultimately this is one of those situations where you won't know until you have the clip in hand and try it out. Without the original to use as a reference for confirmation, you're going to need to take a leap of faith.

If you wanted peace of mind, you can see our return policy here.

Just as a point of curiosity, none, not one, of these windows appears to ever have had a take-out clip. Any idea why that would be and how would the window swing if the balancers are not locked down? Is it possible I don't need the clips at all?
Profile picture of Tom

No, you definitely need take out clips. The balances can't be removed without them. Given that your windows have the slots for them, too, I would wager that whoever installed the windows originally simply forgot to include them. Or, whoever owned the house before took them out for some reason. Whatever the cause, it was definitely in error. 

If you're really in a pinch and aren't sure what to use, one solution is what I like to call the "screw trick." What you do is drill a hole below the slots where the old take out clip went and put in a small screw, making sure that it sticks out a little bit. This will work the same exact way as a take out clip and allow the balances and sash to remove as normal. When you're done, you can just take the screw out.

That said, I still think that the 16-002 is a strong contender and there's a very good chance it will work for you. I just can't guarantee it. The screw trick would really only be helpful if you had no other options left, but hopefully it won't come to that.

I have 17 single hung windows to replace the balancers and clips on. My intention is to do 1 window (2 balancers and 2 clips) to make sure things fit and then order the remaining 16 windows either in bulk or 2 sets of 8 windows each. In either case, assuming the parts fit the order would be for 2 balancers and 2 clips per window. How do I gets pricing?
Profile picture of Tom

You can see a detailed price breakdown on each product's respective store page in our catalog, each linked above. All orders can be placed on our site at your convenience. 

Will I be identifying the channel and spring there?
Since I see there are multiple option for the series 395 based on weight I have included 2 pictures of markings on the spring channel.

34 3 IV CMC 7

Do these provide any assistance in determining the exact spring assembly needed?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CB313120-58E3-46D1-B149-6EE70F22EBDA.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 040D8F06-DAAA-4EE4-AF02-E27665A264B1.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

This stamp tells me that you have a 35" long metal channel, which would be our S395-35. You should of course measure your own metal channel to confirm that, though. Don't take our word for it.

As for the stamp of "34 3," the modern match for that on our S395-35 store page would be our "3430." While printed a little differently, these numbers indicate the same strength calibration.

I now need to identify the piece attached to the sash. Thanks in advance.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230328_125128.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230328_124959.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230328_123608.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named penup_20230328_124225.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named penup_20230328_123829.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Sure thing! That would be the top sash guide. Yours in particular appears to be a match for our 18-177, but give it a look-over and see if you agree.

Detail of 18-177
Detail of 18-177

Side view of 18-177
Side view of 18-177

That looks like it. Thank you.
Profile picture of Tom

You're welcome! Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.