Balances and cam pivots

A quick learner from Minnesota says:
Hi - I have tilt out double hung K&K brand windows, and bottom window won?t stay up when opened. I took it apart and see the cam pivots (black ones in photos) are broken. Will your ?balance knife lock shoe 15-014? work for the K&K window balance? The balance in the jambliner is ridge lined and stamped 30HD. (I?m not at the site and when there I didn?t measure the length.) I think your 31? series 751 Channel balance series 30HD may be the right one for me. Any idea? And a number of windows have the problem, so is it possible to simply replace / swap the broken shoe for your new shoes? Thank you for your help.
Ken
I should have also noted that because my black cam pivots or lock shoes are broken, I can?t be 100% sure they are identical to your 15-014 lock shoe. The remaining shape of my broken ones pretty much match your lock shoe parts. If different, would it be advisable to buy your part and also the part on the sash that it mates to?
Thank you,
Ken
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I agree, the Series 751 looks pretty close to what you have. I'm afraid that's the most I can say. I don't see any identifying features of your window that tell me 100% what you need. As for the shoes, the only way you can know for sure is to compare the 15-014 to an undamaged version. Do you have an identical window in the house that has undamaged balances?

Thank you for the response. This property is in a different state and I won't be there till August 9, and then will only be there through August 17. I'd like to order the parts before I go, so can't say now what the undamaged parts look like. In any event, if I buy 15-104, do you have a corresponding "mate" of the part that is on the sash that wil mate to the 15-014? Finally, if the only problem with the existing balances is the shoes, I take it I can take the broken shoes off and replace with the new shoe 15-014, assuming that is the right part. Is that correct? Thank you. Ken

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

If the shoes are the only thing that's damaged, then you can absolutely swap them out. Just be very careful, you'll want to wear gloves and safety goggles while you do this since the cord is under so much tension. Extend the cord, lock it in a vice, then untie the old shoe and tie the 15-014 on. Hold onto the cord firmly before you let the vice go, or else the cord will shoot back into the balance.

Thanks! I placed my order. I'll try to follow your advice on carefully swapping the shoes!
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.