Better-Bilt sash window - Help needed

A handy person from Myrtle Beach, SC says:

Please check your "Contact Us" mailbox for details about the problem.

Thank you,

Roumen

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Broken part at the bottom of the sash.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Broken Piece on the bottom sash.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Broken Rusted Piece.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Diameter of the Balance.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Length of the Round Balance Bar.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello. I did read the email you sent to our customer service department, but unfortunately, that doesn't really tell us too much information. That said, I still believe we can help you with this, but we need a bit more information before we can get started. For your pivot shoe, we need to see a photos of it removed from the window, along with the height, width, and thickness measurements. As for your spiral balance, we need to see a photo showing the entire part. Please also include the tube length and tube diameter. measurements. Once we have everything we need from you, we can get started. 

Hello Manuela,

Thank you for your prompt response and sorry about the delay.

I took out the Pivot Shoe which was causing my problem. The metal insert at the bottom of the shoe got rusted and broke off.

The plastic jacket on the Balance is long 35"and there is no color tip or cap on the Balance. The Diameter is 17/32"or whatever is the standard close to this number.

Please find attached the requested pictures and let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thank you,

Regards

Roumen

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance. No color cap.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Diameter of the Balance.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Shoe length.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Thickness.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Width.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Thank you for getting back to us with more information and photos. For your balance, have a look at our S600-35. I do not see a color tip bearing on your balance. If there is not one, you will need to weigh your sash on a scale and refer back to the sash weight listed on the store page. As for your pivot shoe, have a look at our 15-219. Look over our measurements listed and see if this matches up to yours. 

Hello Manuela,

Thank you for your prompt response.

That is correct. No color tip on the Balance. Once the balance is attached to the Pivot Shoe on the bottom, then you rotate the Balance to engage more and more the spring inside the tube depending on the weight of the sash.

I'll look at the suggested parts.

Do you have a video on how to replace the Pivot Shoe - not the video on how to remove from the frame.

I need to see how is the shoe connects to the bottom of the sash. The metal pin/insert connection is broken so I need to see how to replace both sides with the replacement you are offering.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Roumen

Profile picture of Casey

Our video only shows the removal of the pivot shoe from the window. The pivot bar is the piece that is inserted into the cam of the pivot shoe and engages the cam when the window is tilted. It sounds like you may need a replacement pivot bar as well. We can help with this. Reply back showing your pivot bar, and we will do our best to find a match. 

Profile picture of Casey

Based on your description, it does sound like the pivot bar. Have a look at the video below on how to remove damaged pivot bars from the window. Maybe this will help.

Profile picture of Casey

Sounds great. Thank you. 

Hello Manuela,
Not sure how you call the part, but the only broken piece is the short metal insert connecting the Pivot Shoe and the Bottom of the Sash. On the picture of the Pivot Shoe(part #15-219) this insert is not shown.
I tried to remove the two screws on the bottom of the Sash holding the other side of the metal insert, but they are so rusted and I don't think I can take them out. It seems like that small metal piece only inserts on both sides (Shoe and the Sash)
Can I get this separately, or even with the Shoe?
Thanks,
Roumen
Hello Manuela,
Great!
This is exactly what I was talking about. As long as I can take off the two screws on each side.
Thanks a lot.
I'll let you know what I'm getting within the next couple of days.
Have a great day and stay safe.
Regards!
Roumen
Hello Manuela,
I was able to pull out the part from the bottom of the Sash which connects to the Pivot Shoe with the metal bar/pin.
Please take a look at the attachments and let me know if I can replace the both parts with a new assembly. The Plastic insert with the metal bar/pin and the Pivot Shoe.
Also do you have a replacement for the plastic/rubber seal on the bottom of the Sash?
Thanks and have a great weekend!
Regards!
Roumen
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Plastic piece in the Sash holding the metal bar.jp
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Plastic piece.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Rubber Seal on the bottom of the Sash.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named The whole assembly.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, Roumen. Manuela isn't here today but I will do my best to assist you.

It's difficult to tell what your pivot bar is due to its corrosion. I can at least tell you that we don't carry anything with that same style plastic sleeve. Are you able to reuse that portion of it? If so, see our 26-040 pivot bar and see if this will work as a substitute. My hope is that the dimensions are the same, allowing you to take the old bar out of that plastic sleeve and slide the 26-040 in its place.

That's just an educated guess. If this solution won't work, let me know and we can work from there. If you have an undamaged version of that pivot bar, that would be ideal.

We do sell replacement weatherstripping. I recommend creating a new discussion for it so that we can keep things clear and separate, so as to avoid confusion. When creating your new discussion, please remove a sample of the weatherstripping and show us a clear picture of its end profile, so that we can see the shape. Please also note that the sample you show us must be whole and undamaged. It is not possible to ID weatherstripping from a sample that has become too badly deteriorated. 

Hello Tom,
Thank you for your prompt response.
I'll try to pull out the pin from the plastic "jacket" to make sure that I can try the suggested part number.
I'll let you know.
As far as the weather strip goes, I'll open another discussion.
Thanks again and stay safe!
Regards!
Roumen
Profile picture of Tom

Perfect, thank you so much! I'm here to help you at your convenience.

Profile picture of Tom

I actually don't think our 15-219 is what you want. I'm sorry for not catching that before. The top looks a little like yours but the style of the top isn't super important. The cam is very different and not designed to work with your window. 

What you have is an older style shoe that isn't made anymore. Fortunately, something like our 15-046 can replace it. In fact, it even looks to be the same size at 1/2" thick and 1-1/4" wide. It is compatible with both the 26-040 pivot bar and your spiral balance.

Hello Manuela and Tom,
I was able to remove the old,rusty Pivot Bar from the plastic insert in the Sash. It looks like part number 26-040 is the right size to fit in the plastic insert.
I'll start with doing two sections of the same window using the same Balance (36") and the Pivot Shoe.
Can you please confirm that the Bar (26-040)will fit the Pivot Shoe (15-219) so I can place the order?
Thanks,
Roumen
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.