Broken Window Balance

A handy person from Versailles, Ky says:

Not sure of the make on this, but one side of the window has a sagging string. Can you help me identify the window make and/or the replacement part?

Window

MFR: ADW-8

A-L-I VALIDATOR

SERIES 150/160 SH (511-517,521-528,531-538)

TYPE: SINGLE HUNG

MAKE DATE:6/29/2007

SALESORDER: 02527268

RIGHT SIDE BALANCE IS BROKEN, STRING IS LOOSE AND FLOPPING IN WINDOW OPENING

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. I'm afraid I can't narrow down what balances you need from information on your window alone. Window balance hardware is incredibly generic across brands. The only way to know exactly what you need is to see photos of your original hardware out of the window. From there, we'll try and determine what you need. Many thanks.

WILL SEE IF i CAN GET THE BALANCE OUT OF THE WINDOW AND SEND ANOTHER PICTURE
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window balance.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named file2-22.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named file1-30.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named file3-15.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me. This definitely helps!. Looks like yo have a Series 795 Channel Balance. There's just a few more things to go over to make sure you get the exact replacements needed. 

• First, can you show me a picture of how the balance attaches at the top of the window track? e.g. Is it a clip that screws-in to the top of the track, or a hook that attaches to a hole or slit in the wall? 
  • Second, measure the length of the metal channel, not including the T-Lock Shoe at the bottom, to know what length you need.
  • Third, show us a clearer picture of the stamp on the metal channel.
  • Finally, see if your balance's T-Lock Shoe more closely resembles the 15-195 or 15-194

From there, we should be able to recommend what you need. Many thanks for your patience!

Looks like the top hooks in, not screwed in.
More photos available.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named file-58.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named file2-23.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named file1-31.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named file2-26.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named file-60.jpeg
Additional pictures
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named file-60.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named file1-32.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named file1-33.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named file2-24.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to us. OK, because your balance has a clip at the top that connects to the window track, rather than screwing on, we will need to custom build these balances for you. I am sending you an email with a custom link to order (2) of the S795-28, stamp option 28D, with the 15-198 hook attached. The default shoe that comes with this balance (the 15-195) should work fine for you. If you need a different amount, or have any other questions, just let us know here in the discussion thread. Many thanks.

Can I just get one? Only one is broken....
Profile picture of Bob

You can if you'd like, sure. Just note that we usually recommend replacing both balances at the same time. When you install a new balance to work side-by-side with an old balance, the new balance tends to wear out faster since it has to work harder to pick up the slack for the older, and therefore weaker, spring. It's ultimately up to you. I'll have my colleague Tom send you a new order link right now.

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.