Casement mechanism mechanism failing at crank

A home owner from Deer Isle Maine 04627 says:
Hi - the crank (left handed screw) just unscrews when I turn the crank. It appears that a knurled cylinder part that is part of the initial screw mechanism has become disengaged; It seems that cylinder needs to be forced back in (to keep the screw mechanism in) but won't stay in possibly because where it is forced into is cracked and also that I don't have the right tool to force it in.
I also don't know how to remove the mechanism from the window since 2 out of 4 of the phillips head screws are not accessible enough.
The basic mechanism number appears to be 40373 or 40872 (see picture). The two arm numbers appear to be 30472RH and 30818 and a sliding pad - 52.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Mechanism 40372 IMG_1828.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Outside house 30472RH arm IMG_1827.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Outside house sliding part IMG_1822.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Outside house view IMG_1821.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Inside house view IMG_1816.JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

It looks like the worm gear came out with the crank handle; when this happens, I'm afraid it means the entire operator has broken down and needs to be replaced.

Start by looking at the two sets of operators that we've related for you. Look over our dimensions for these items and compare them to your current hardware to see which ones match up for what you need.

Hi, I managed to get the crank out of the window. I can confirm that the bottom crank mounting plate is numbered 40372. The small arm straight section is 2-7/8" (or 2-13/16")long from end to end, attached to an 's' section (30849) back to the axis of rotation. The long arm is almost 10-7/8" back to the center of the mounting plate from the far side of the roller, 10-9/16" from the center of the roller to the center of the plate.

The 39-031 arm lengths are too long. Same for the 39-155. I have attached some more pictures of the mechanism and measurements of the crank mounting plate mounting hole locations.

Please help!

Bruce

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Crank mounting plate IMG_1846.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Complete window crank mechanism IMG_1843.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CLoseup of crank mechanism 2 IMG_1842.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Closeup of crank mechanism 1 IMG_1841.JPG
Profile picture of Emily

Hi, Bruce.

In that case, take a look at our 39-333 and 39-334. Look over the dimensions for this item and see how they match up to your current assembly. 

Hi - thanks for the quick answer.

Is there a way to get the mounting plate dimensions including the hole pattern?

Do the measurements of the arms have to be exact or can they be 1/16" or 1/8" off? I ask specifically about the long arm for the 39-333 where my crude measurement seems to be 1/8" longer.

Thanks again,

Bruce
Profile picture of Emily

I don't think that measurement will matter. We do think our 39-333 and 39-334 will work, but there are no guarantees. These are our best options for a replacement. 

Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.