CertainTeed Vinyl Window won't stay up

A quick learner from Auburn, WA says:
Hi: I have a single hung CertainTeed Vinyl window. The left side counterbalance spring seems to have broken so the window won't stay up in intermediate positions. I took it off and you can see the one spring is attached to the shoe but the other spring seems to have broken where it would attach to the screw. The only number I could find was on the unbroken spring. It is stamped SA 336 (or possibly SA 335). There was no stamp I could find on the broken spring. I've watched your videos and am confident in making the repair. Can you point me to the correct parts? Thanks and let me know if you need any other photos or measurements, Scott
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Left Side broken spring.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Close up left side spring.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2 springs front.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2 springs 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Spring housing.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

We don't carry this exact shoe but you could consider either our 15-192 or 15-259. Allow me to go over the differences. 

The 15-192 is a Certainteed brand pivot shoe and looks very similar to yours but you'll need to shave down the "nubs" on the face for it to fit into the track. Note that any product altered in this way cannot be returned for a refund. This shoe is also designed to use the Series 170 and Series 171 coil spring, 15-156 cover, and 15-157 bushing.

Our 15-259 is a more modern pivot shoe and we believe this works better than the original. The video below will go over the entire replacement process in detail. 

You will also need to weigh your sash and divide the weight by the number of coils on both sides of the window to determine the correct coil strength option.

Hello: The sash weighs 11 pounds. There are 2 coil springs on each side for a total of 4 coil springs. Can you advise the proper spring to buy? Also, should I replace springs on both sides or can I just replace the springs on the broken side? The existing shoe seems to be fine. Could I re-use it instead of trying to modify a new one? Thanks for all your help, Scott
Profile picture of Emily

Yes, you can re-use your old shoe if it's still in good shape. We also recommend replacing the springs on both sides of the window. If you only need the springs, you can use the Series 170 or Series 171 coil springs depending on the tongue on yours. 

If your coil spring has a short tongue, you can use (2) S170-263 3 pound springs on both sides of the window which would total 12 pounds of overall support; so long as the spring weights are within a pound of your sash's actual weight, this should be fine

If your coil has a long tongue, you can use (1) S171-405 5 pound coil on both sides of the window which totals 10 pounds of overall support. 

Let me know if this makes sense or if you had any questions!

Emily: thanks, it does make sense. I'm pretty sure my coils have a short tongue but I will measure them this weekend. If I have any questions, I'll bug you again. If not, I will order the replacement springs for each side. Thanks for all your help, Scott
Profile picture of Emily

I agree, I believe you indeed have the Series 170 with the short tongue. Best of luck with the repair and let me know if you need anything else!

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.