Certainteed window coils

A quick learner from united states says:
Hi - my coil balancer on a bunch of my Certainteed windows have failed. I have attached pictures - can you tell what part I would need to order?

Thanks, Sohail
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4954.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4966.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4967.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4969.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4970.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! We definitely carry these parts. See the 15-192 pivot shoe, 15-156 cover, 15-157 drum, and finally the Series 170 coil spring. The video below will also show you how all these parts work together.

HI can you tell me the balance number I will need? I know I need a Series 170, but nothing is imprinted on the old coil balance... can you help?
Profile picture of Tom

Give us the exact weight of your window sash, and we can work out the spring weights you need. 

hi - i took out the sash - it weights 24.4lbs. also, in taking it out, i see another part that is damaged - the piece of metal that actually goes into the pivot shoe. i placed my tape measure in the part - can you give me a link for the replacement part?

all three windows in the master are a mess... seems like the coil balances are rusted and that they are 2- coil balances, can you tell me the other coil balance i need to order that seems to go not top of the pivot shoe?

so far, you provided - spring cover, the drum, the 170 coil balance that goes with it. now i need the metal part in picture and it appears another, bigger coil balance that is anchored to the pivot shoe. I don't get how the dual coil balances work... hopefully the pics help. thanks for your patience and help here.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5026 copy.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5025 copy.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5024 copy.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5027 copy.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5012 copy.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

I've never seen that pivot bar, unfortunately. I'm not sure if we can replace this, but give me a little time to look into it and I'll get back to you as soon as I have more information.

Concerning your springs, I'm not sure that I understand your question. You said that you need another spring that's anchored to the pivot shoe, but all springs are anchored to the pivot shoe. That's how they're designed to work. Are you saying that your shoe uses two springs on each side instead of just one? If so, you want to also use the Series 171, as indicated by the video I showed you in my first response.

Since your sash is around 24 pounds, you want to use two springs one each side of the window, anyway. I recommend using one S170-406 and one S171-406 on each side; that's 6 pounds per spring, which adds up to 24 pounds of support per window. I highly recommend rewatching the video I posted above to get an idea of how these parts interact with each other.

In the meantime, I will do my best to track down that pivot bar.

Hi Tom - I am being dense... the video does help. I hope you can find the right pivot bar. Regarding the coil balance to description on the site says that they are meant for double hung windows, doesn't it matter that my windows are single hung? Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I believe you have the Certainteed new construction window that uses 26-353 pivot bar. I wouldn't worry about whether your window is double hung or not. The parts Tom recommended above will work for you.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.