Channel Balance ID

A home owner from Madison, AL says:
I have single hung (one moving sash) vinyl windows with balance shoe D467.490. That is the part that seems to have failed. My sash balance is marked 28C and has a hook. At a minimum I would like to replace the appropriate hardware on one side of the window but would be happy to replace both if I could find the right parts. I've never performed this kind of repair before but could probably do it with the help of online videos. Thanks for any help!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0901.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0905.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0909.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0910.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0913.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. This looks like a 28" Series 795 balance with a stamp option of 28C. The T-Lock Shoe resembles our 15-194. Our standard Series 795 balances connect to the window track with a screw-on tab, rather than a hook. However, we can custom-make these balances with a 15-198 hook attached on top. First though, may we see the hole in the window track that this hook connects to? The shape of this hole might allow us to find a different solution. Many thanks. 

Thanks for the help! I have attached a picture of the hole in the window track,and a picture of the same type of window with the hook installed. Is using a screw even an option with my window? My guess is no, I need to use a hook. I'd also like to know what tools would be needed to install this correctly. A video would really help.

I saw the video "How to replace a Crossbow Balance with a sturdier Channel Balance" which was very helpful. I also checked the hole in the window track. I was able to fit a drill 19/64" drill bit into the round hole. I really appreciate the help!

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0916.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0917.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0919.JPG
I saw the video "How to replace a Crossbow Balance with a sturdier Channel Balance" which was very helpful. I also checked the hole in the window track. I was able to fit a drill 19/64" drill bit into the round hole. I really appreciate the help!
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me. I should have clarified: I only was curious about the hole in the window track because if it was square-shaped, we offer a screw plug that can fit snugly in it and thus let you use our standard Series 795 balances. No matter. Below is an email with a custom link to order (2) 28" Series 795 balances, stamped 28C, and with the 15-198 hook attached. Installation is the same as you saw in the video, but with the hook attaching to the hole rather than a screw. Let me know if you need a different amount, or have any other questions. 

Thanks - I just placed the order. I think your earlier reply indicated that I needed the 15-194 T-Lock Shoe while your website indicates that the standard Series 795 balances comes with a 15-195. Will I get the 15-194 with my custom balances?
Profile picture of Bob

Your Series 795 will come with the 15-195 attached. However, you may just place an order for the 15-194 and simply replace that with the 15-195 that is attached. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused, but hopefully, I have clarified this for you now. Please get back to us with any further questions you may have. Thank you.

The Series 795 Channel Balance (28C in my case) with the 15-198 hook (balance clip) and the 15-194 T-Lock balance shoe did work. Thank you for the help with that.

I had some difficulty getting the top of the Channel Balance (end near the hook) installed into the vinyl channel, particularly the rounded head end of the rivet. What would you suggest for that?

I also had difficulty getting the hook into the hole. The spring tension makes this difficult. I ended up using a flat head screw driver to lock the balance shoe such that the hook was ~6 inches below the hole where the hook connects to the vinyl. It was difficult to get a grip on the hook, but I did grab it and then pulled enough string out (more than the ~6 inches) to be able to grab that string with pliers, then I had sufficient slack to get the hook installed by hand. Is some type of hand tool recommended for installing the hook?

I am considering getting the same parts for my other windows, but will probably put that off until I have a better idea regarding how to get the hooks installed into the hole in the vinyl window track. Thanks again for all the help!

I've added one more picture showing the D467.490 original part that is evidently obsolete. Others having the same problem might also be able to to find a solution here.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D467.490.JPG
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Regarding hooking the 15-198 balance clip, you're correct in using self locking pliers to give some slack to the balance cord. 

The balance manufacturer made a change on installing Series 795 tilt balance. They replaced the top balance clip with a screw on clip (19-043) that comes standard with the Series 795. We carry a screw plug 26-200 that can be used only in 1/4" by 1/4" square hole and a 33-090 attaching screw. However, your hole is round, so this won't work. I'm afraid the hook is your only option. I am sorry that it was frustrating to install.

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.