Channel Balance Replacement - parts and advice please ....

A quick learner from Texas says:
Our house was built in 2004, and is fitted throughout with "Vinyl Single Hung Tilt Sash" windows. Three (if you can guess why ONLY these three, I'd be interested to know?!) adjacent North facing windows have failed Channel Balances. None of the windows have any manufacturer marks on them. I'd like to replace the 6 Channel Balances (including associated bottom T-Lock shoes ? is that the terminology?) on these windows. Can you advise me what parts I need to order to complete the job ? including any accessories and/or special tools if applicable please?

The Channel Balances are Block & Tackle plain channel type, marked 27D. The T-Lock shoe just carries the marking "PAT 4810108". The dimensions of the lower tilt sash are: 28-3/4" High, 45-1/4" Wide, and the sash weighs 31 lbs.

I have attached some relevant photos.
Thanks, and Regards,
Steve
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6554.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6546.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6548.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Steve, thanks for all the thorough information. We can certainly help you replace these balances, however they will need to be a custom order. Your balance resembles our S795-27. However, our standard Series 795 has a different clip at the top that screws into the jamb track. Your balance has a 15-198 hook that attaches to a hole in the track instead. Fortunately, we'd be happy to make these up for you. You will shortly receive a custom link to order (6) of these balances. If you have any questions, just let us know. 

See the video below on removal and replacement details. This video is specifically about replacing an older kind of balance, the crossbow balance, with the Series 795. But you will also see some basic installation information as well. Just keep in mind that your balance won't screw in at the top; rather you'll just slide in the hook into the slit in your jamb track.

As far as why these three particular windows failed, I'm honestly not sure. 10-15 years is the standard lifespan for most balances; if all the windows were installed at the same time, it's possible some of the other balances may not be far behind. If they are a different kind of balance, that also might affect the exact time they start to wear down. 

Bob,

Thank you for your extremely efficient and helpful response - together with follow-up quote.

Will the T-Lock Shoe on the Channel Balances that you will ship to me be a straight replacement and fit into my existent frame (which has a running track ID of 1-5/16") and accommodate my existent pivot bars in my sash?

Thanks,
Steve
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Steve. Thanks for the kind words. You know, it's a good thing you asked about the T-Lock shoes, because I should have asked myself to confirm. The Series 795 comes installed with our 15-195 1-1/4" Closed Cam T-Lock Shoe. Judging from your photos I was fairly confident this is what you have, I'm not quite as certain looking at it again. It's best to double-check just to be sure. Measure the width of the T-Lock Shoe to confirm it's 1-1/4"; if it happened to be 1", you'd need the 15-194 shoe instead. 'Closed cam' simply means you can't see through the cam of the T-Lock shoe to the other size, whereas with an open cam you can. If your shoe happened to be open cam, you'd need the 15-195B.

If it turns out you need one of those shoes, we could alter the custom order to ensure the balance comes fitted with those shoes, or you can swap out the shoes that come with the Series 795 and install the correct ones yourself; as the video below shows, its a fairly simple process. 

With the right T-Lock Shoe, I believe your old pivot bars should work just fine. 

Profile picture of Bob

Hi Steve. OK, thanks for double-checking; we were right at the start, it's a 15-195. So you don't need to buy any other shoes--your custom Series 795 balances will come with the 15-195 installed. Your custom link therefore should be good to go.

You're right, I'm afraid we don't sell replacement window sashes or glass units; but any local glass shop should be able to set you up with what you need. 

Many thanks again Steve. If you have any other questions, just ask.  

Bob,

It certainly looks like a 15-195 1-1/4" Closed Cam T-Lock Shoe ? thought the dimension depends on where you measure it ? across the grey body is 1-14" whilst across the white lugs is more like 1-11/16" - see attached photos.

On that basis I shall proceed with placing the custom order ?.. if you see something that gives you pause for thought then please hold the order and clarify with me first.

By the way ?.. I have some IGUs that have seal failures ? see attached photos. I don't believe that you provide IGUs but ?. could you recommend somewhere that I might look for equally good service on IGUs?

Thanks again!
Steve
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6532.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6592.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6531.JPG
Bob,

Channel balances received, and after the best part of a day's work all are installed and the three windows are back in perfect order.

80% of the time was spent on associated (including some unexpected) window issues - the channel balances themselves were an exact fit and worked out perfectly.

Thanks again for you help!

Steve
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Steve, very glad to hear it! It's always pretty cool from our perspective when we see someone solve their window issues just by replacing a critical component like their window balances, without having to resort to replacing the window wholesale. Thanks again for your business, we really do appreciate it. If you ever need anything else, just ask!

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.