Channel balance and pivot shoe

A home owner from Ohio says:
Looking to replace channel balance
Length- 28 inches (metal frame only)
I believe it's type 770. Markings are
-0B. ????
DB
27-7.

Also looking to replace the pivot shoe that is demolished ( photo attached)
There is no cutaway to remove, so any suggestions on correct part and replacement process is appreciated .

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I agree, the S770-28 looks like a promising match. Your stamp of 27-7 is a little unusual. Could you weigh your window sash? We can see if that precise weight matches up with the weight ranges for each stamp option listed on the product page.

As far as your pivot shoe, I'm afraid it's very difficult to say what type it might be; the one you show is just very badly damaged. Is the one on the other side of the window undamaged? If so, could we see pictures of it removed from the window, along with the width and thickness of the shoe? If you are having trouble removing the pivot shoe without a pre-made cutout, see the video below.

A home owner from Ohio says:
Bob:
I weighed the Sash. It is approximately 30 lbs. (does that mean 28e?). The Window measures 59 x 45 so, it's fairly heavy.

I have not removed a pivot shoe from a similar window from another room, however I've been able to measure the width on the broken One and it is 9/16 thick. Does that mean 15-129?

Thanks for your quick response
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Yes, if the sash is 30 pounds then you want to go with the 28E stamp option. 

Your pivot shoe doesn't match our 15-129. The thickness may be the same, but the center cam (the round part that accepts the pivot bar) is different. Interestingly enough, your old pivot shoe actually looks like a style mostly used for spiral balances, not channel balances. That doesn't mean it can't work, just something to keep in mind.

Either way, you basically need a pivot shoe to do three things: fit in the track, hook onto the balance, and connect to the pivot bar. The 15-129 can do the first two, but not the third. 

Consider our 15-121. This is 1-1/4" wide and 9/16" thick, so it can fit in your track. It looks like it has the same center cam as yours, too, so I think it can connect to the pivot bar. You can double check to be sure: the cam slot on this shoe is 5/16" wide and 3/16" high. It's made to work with pivot bars like our 26-040.

But can it hook onto your channel balance? That's the question. Like I said, this style shoe is made for spiral balances, but I still think it can still work for yours. After all, you only need to pinch the cord between those slots and "anchor" the clip underneath them. If your old pivot shoes have been working fine in that capacity all these years, there's no reason to doubt it now.

Look it over and see what you think.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.