Coil Balances Replacement Parts

A quick learner from Hawaii says:
Aloha,

Was looking to see if you sell replacement parts for our vynel windows?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

This looks potentially like our Series 170 and Series 171 Coil Balances. The video below explains more.

Okay,so the stamp on the coil on the one I have says "8K".

Which series should I order to replace?

Thanks in advance
Profile picture of Bob

As the video above shows, if you have the Certainteed style Coil Balances, the bottom coil would be the Series 170 and the top coil would be the Series 171. A stamp of 8 might mean you need either the S170-408 8 pound spring. If in doubt, obtain the exact weight of the window sash and we can work it out for you. 

Sounds good - I'll check the weight. In the meantime, the width of my broken coil spring 1/2" not 3/4" so which series should I order instead of the 170?

My deepest apologies for these stupid questions. I've never done this before and the company that installed the windows are hopeless in getting the replacement parts.
Profile picture of Bob

No worries, the questions aren't stupid at all. Window companies deliberately make replacing specific parts as difficult as possible, with the hopes you end up caving and buying new windows. The fact these coils aren't the same width give me some pause. Can you remove the pivot shoe they connect to at the bottom of the window and show us? The pivot shoe's identity will determine the coil balances needed. That, and the overall sash weight, should help ID everything you need.

Thanks for your patience Bob, attached are the requested,

- Darren
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5292.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5293.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5294.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5297.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

It was good we checked! This looks like more like a 15-177 Shoe, which uses Series 152 Coil Balances. Compare to confirm. Again, if you need help confirming what stamp weights to select, give us the exact sash weight and we can work it out for you. 

Awesome, and yes, it's about an 8lbs sash, so I'll order accordingly.

Thanks so much Bob!
Wait, I just weighed the window with me on the scale, and the difference is 15lbs? Is that right?
Profile picture of Bob

So long as you subtracted your own weight from the weight you got on the scale, the remainder should indeed be the exact sash weight. In that case, you can use (2) of the S152-7 7 pound springs, one for each side of the sash. This equals 14 pounds of support overall; being within one pound of the exact sash weight should work fine. 

Ah okay, that makes perfect sense - thanks a TON!!
One last thing Bob, what else would i need to complete replacing my coil balance problem?

Ive got your recommended shoe and balance... I'm assuming I need the bushing cap and support barrel correct?
Profile picture of Bob

The good thing about coil balances is that you only need to replace the parts that are broken. If you would prefer to replace the covers as well or they are starting to break, you're welcome to purchase that 15-143, 15-144, and 15-145 used to support the S152 coils in the jamb.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.