Series 751? Might be custom?

A home owner from USA says:
Looking to order 4 balances marked with a 24TG stamp.

I believe I need either the 15-197 or 15-233 shoe.

Please let me know if you need any other information.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.png
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I agree, this might be a Series 751 with either the 15-197 or 15-233 attached. To be safe though, can you show me an undamaged version of this balance shoe, either from the other balance in the window or from an identical window in the house? We'll do our best to assist you from there. Many thanks. 

Bob,
note that the windows are all the same, but there are different sizes, some having black shoes and some blue. The attached photo shows a different size window (20TG vs the 18TG or 24TGs I have). The structure of the shoe you are asking about looks similar to Product Code: 15-014. Further, its height is 1 1/8 (not 1 7/8) and there does not appear to be a pole (sticking up) on the right side. Let me know if its 15-104 or the other two.

BTW, I noticed the springs are rusty. What is the best lubricant to spray on them? Can you spray the shoe's metal lock too with same spray? I'd think lubing the spring would improve its operation.

thanks,
Marty
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balancer_20TG-GL.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Marty. I can't be 100% sure without seeing the shoe out of the jamb, but if it lacks that pole to one side and is a bit shorter than the 15-197 type, then I agree your balances likely just use plain old 15-014. These shoes come attached by default with our standard Series 751 balance. For balances stamped 24TG, you likely need an S751-25; for the 18TG stamped balances, the S751-19; and for the 20TG stamped ones, the S751-21

A silicone spray can help lubricate the track and balances, but note that if the window is beginning to fail to open properly, simply replacing the balances is going to be your best option. The video below shows how to replace these types of balances. 

Bob,
thanks a lot for you responses. How do I go about ordering four balances stamped 24TG, part S751-25, and also four shoes, 15-014 (like to have a few spares to tinker with)?

I believe cost is around $48.00 (44 +4), correct? How much additional for tax/S&H? And how long does it take to receive the order?

Thanks!
Marty
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Marty. You can order the Series 751 right through its shop page. Just click the length and then the stamp option you need, then click "add to cart". Note that the 15-014 comes attached to these balances by default; you needn't buy them separately, unless you wanted some spares. 

All shipping costs and final fees are listed when you input your zip code during checkout. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks Bob! I appreciate it. What's the typical time to receive? I know that there's been delays going on these days. Is it more than two weeks to ship?

Marty
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Marty. You can order the S751-25 right through its shop page. Simply select the stamp option you want (24TG), then click "Add to Cart". When you're ready, click "Checkout" in the top right corner. Be sure to set the quantity you desire as well. These balances are currently in-stock and can ship ASAP. We have a number of shipping options for you to choose from at checkout. Let me know if you have any further questions! 

Hello Bob,
I've ordered the balancers (per above discussion) and should be getting them soon. In watching your video entitled, "How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe", I noticed that my balancers differ from those in the video. Yours show a 'J' hook at the top and fit in the channel snugly. However, my windows have no 'J' hook. Instead, there is just a wood screw at the top holding the balancer in place.

Further, my (Jamb liner) channel/slot seems wider and does not encompass (go over) the balancer,
i.e. I can unthread the screw and pull the balancer out (without sliding it vertically out of the (bounded) channel). It just comes right out.
Have you see windows like this before? I'm just wondering if the windows are wrongly designed and they should have come with slots that make you slide the balancer on vertically? Should I purchase a jamb liner like you have in the video to bolster the mechanics of the window?

Any thoughts and/or tips here?

Marty

Profile picture of Bob

Hi Marty. Can you show me this screw at the top of the jamb? Furthermore, can you show me the end profile of the metal channel on your old balance, or the 'cross-section' view? I want to be absolutely certain we know what you're working with. Many thanks. 

Bob, please see attached photos. The hole emphasized is where the screw goes to mount the balancer to the wall. Can you please see prior questions and help answer them?

thanks,
marty

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211201_090115.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211201_090115.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211201_090104.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20211201_090052.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Marty. Thanks for the photos. It's indeed irregular to see these Series 751 balances install with a screw. You'll note that your old balances even have the rivet that would be use for one of the S-Clips, either our 19-029 or 19-030. That leads me to believe that for some reason your balances were modified to use a wood screw instead. Very strange, though I've seen it once or twice before. If you wish to continue using the wood screws you're going to have to drill holes into the top of the new balance channels to accommodate them. I'm afraid this is not a service we provide, but this is likely your best option unless there's holes in the jamb track for s-clips. Please note that modified items cannot be returned for refunds. 

It's also a little unusual for these balances to be removable without taking out the jamb. I imagine it would have to be a pretty long screw to keep the balances secure; since you describe it as a wood screw, I am assuming it is. All in all this is definitely an odd setup for these balances and only the original builder could explain why they took the choices they did. Either way the Series 751 is the closest match. Let me know if you have further questions. 

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.