Double hung window with cracked covers

A home owner from Linn Creek, MO says:
We have double hung windows with type 2 balances.they are 15 years old and all of the plastic balance covers have several cracks and they are crumbly. Those windows can't be opened. Is this a defect of the window? All covers need replaced.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I don't think your window is defective. It just sounds like your balances are old and need to be replaced. 15 years is just about the end of a balance's lifespan, so I'm not surprised to hear your description of the damage.

We can help, but we'll need you to remove the old balance from the window and show us a photo of it by itself. I need to see the shoe, spring, and the cover you mentioned. We may need more information after that, but I need to know what to ask for first.

See photos
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named C2A10A05-1EE4-4E61-B35F-9B0DAF404AAF.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named BFA506AB-2A11-4B07-A9E9-7FFF04EC8C57.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 61A8A9D7-F29A-4F75-814D-CE4AF4AAA78A.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! That pivot shoe looks like a match for our 15-199, which itself is compatible with two types of coil spring: either the 1/2" thick Series 160, or the 3/8" thick Series 165. You'll have to measure your spring to confirm the better match.

Can you tell me the part number for the cover?
Profile picture of Tom

That would depend on which coil balance you have, and how many springs are on each side. Once you've selected your spring, you can see a list of products on that store page under "Related Part(s)," including various covers.

The coil measures 1/2 in wide but neither cover appears to match the one I have in length.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5FB20720-F444-45BD-8405-EE503F867086.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 84345E66-6C61-4F73-B5E2-FA465AF08DDA.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D73E2FDB-BFBD-4EC0-B490-3BE09120BC78.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

If your old spring is 1/2" thick, and if you have three on each side (which you appear to have), then you can use the 15-150T cover. It doesn't matter if it looks like the original or not, they both perform the same function.

So the 1/2 inch coils and covers are too wide. Once installed the cover doesn't allow the window to open. The window gets stuck at the coil cover because it doesn't allow room for the window latch to pass. The coils are actually less than 1/2 inch. See picture attached.

How do I return the ones I ordered.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3C7E9B50-2C57-48C7-BB32-1CD8D9F27129.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

It looks to me like you have the 3/8" springs, instead. That would be the Series 165

You can see our return policy here.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.