Force springs and pivot pins for double hung windows

A quick learner from Cocoa beach fl says:
Some of the spring coil's have failed in the sash lifting modules .
They appear to be modules (three on each side of the larger windows).
All of the pivot pins have rusted out.
The pivot pins are located at the bottom of the window (see photos) and a track and insert into the bottom module of the lift in assembly. Pin length is approximately 3" long and slide into The lifting module thenlocked with in place with setscrew.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DFF1B172-1B3F-4BA1-B6D1-626F6493A1AC.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 383ABD50-660C-47B9-BD73-CAB9F0F9E761.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0CD60AF1-0808-463D-955A-C2F691A4978F.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. This looks like our 15-087 Coil Housing Pivot, as well as the 15-086 Tandem Housing that stacks on top of it. This Housing system is compatible with our Series 180 Coil Balances. You will need to check the coil springs within the housing units for stamp numbers that should correspond to the spring weights you need to select--I would not necessarily trust the stamp codes on the housing units. Finally, there's a few different options for your pivot bar. It would be best to see it removed from the window, with the distance from the center of the mounting hole to the tip that fits into the pivot shoe measured. That will help us identify what you need. Many thanks.

I weighed the window that has three spring modules on each side weighs is 35lbs.

Springs have "6 L0" scribed on it.

Due to corrosion I cannot remove the pivot pins without damaging them. I plan to use a Dremel cut off wheel when the new parts arrive In order to disassemble. I have photos attached of the pin with a scale in the view.

Hopefully this is enough info please let me know.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 78DCA575-9D8C-406F-9C21-149FAAD478A1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 68AFF1B5-5770-4C34-BC49-E5B30560939D.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9010B5FE-AD51-4724-84D1-D4B212933134.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EB96EF7B-76B0-4A5B-9631-A683FC80CBE6.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 92D4E0D7-A1C9-4A71-8F69-AA022AF3D49E.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. Your pivot bar is a little different, but since you're going with the 15-087 pivot shoe you should be able to use our 26-040 without any issue. I actually just had a customer order these parts the other day and they reported back that they worked perfectly for this same window.

As for installing a multi-spring assembly, you just have to feed the assembly into the cut out bottom first. It's a little tall, so it may be awkward, but there's no other way to do it. You just have to do your best to feed it in. You could make the pivot shoe cutout a little longer to help out, but you don't want to make it too long.

Profile picture of Tom

I'm not quite sure what you mean. You'll still need to attach the springs to the bracket at the top of your window. It should look something like our 16-024. Each spring attaches to this bracket. See the diagram below for an example.

Series 180 coil balance diagram
Series 180 coil balance diagram
Is there an instruction video that shows how to attach the multiple coil springs to the frame?
Thx
So once the spring stack is inserted into the frame slot I do not have to do an operation to attach the ends of the springs to the frame?
Your diagram is very helpful.
That shows one spring being attached to the clip.
In my case with three modules on each side I will be attaching three springs to the clip?
So the assembly order is:
I will get the three module stack into the slot. Then somehow I need to extend each spring far enough to reach the clip.

Is the clip attached to the frame before or after I pull each spring out far enough to reach it?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named CA0A2247-3384-4D08-815C-E0885081DB3D.jpeg
When I cut the edge of the track to enlarge and insert the new balance assy I would like to install a longer trim piece to cover up my not so nice looking area of the frame. Do you sell this trim?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Just to clarify in earlier question I had.
I am going to be attaching three springs to the pictured clip.
Could you tell me the procedure to stretch each one of the springs up to the Cliff location? One at a time or stretch all simultaneously?
As you can see in the pics only one of the two holes engages the clip.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F02F183C-1873-4307-9175-A1804E749A3F.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AD7FEB8D-77A4-4F53-9739-5AEA5A81481B.jpeg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hello, hopefully I can help.

What you want to do is unscrew the 16-024 mounting bracket first. Now with the coil spring in the 15-087, pull the spring out a few inches and install the assembly in the opening of the track. Next take the 15-086 coil housing and again pull out some of the coil spring. Snap the locking bracket to the lower coil pivot housing. Repeat the same procedure for the top coil spring housing. 

Now align all the holes on the three springs using the needle nose pliers. Then with the pliers hold on to the 16-024 mounting bracket and engage the top hook of the bracket through all three springs and rotate the bracket to insert the bottom hook under the coil spring locking bracket. Slide the complete balance assembly and mounting bracket up to the mounting hole in the window track and screw in the mounting bracket hole. 

With a flat edge screw driver place it in the pivot cam and bring the balance assembly down several inches above or below to the opposite balance assembly. Turn the cam towards you to lock the assembly in place. Now you can install your sash.

As for the snap on sash stop, we do not have a match for yours. I am sorry we cannot offer one.

Thx for the description it is exactly what I need

I just had a thought....

Instead of using 3 ea 6 lb coil's on each side could I change over to 2 ea 9 lb coil's?

It would be much less cumbersome for me to install and they appear to be same geometry.
Can 3ea S180-6 be replaced by 2ea S180-9?
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, that's possible! As long as they hold up the same weight and are symmetrical you can use any combination to make up the difference.

Parts ordered
Your technical/customer support is second to none.
Thx
DF
I received my new parts and noticed on the coil housing pivot that the pivot bar interface is slightly different.
The new part does not have a cut out in order to remove the window after tilting. Can you suggest how I deal with this for assembly?
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us! I've noted this issue before and found it was fixed as long as you use the 26-040 pivot bar that we recommended. That customer I mentioned who had the same hardware as you reported to me that this solution works well. Let me know how it goes!

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.