GA Window Balance

A home owner from Carrollton TX says:
I've been told my GA original 1985 aluminum windows are hard to raise due to channel balance. I unscrewed the top plate on one today, and almost got slammed in the face by the plate and screw under the spring pressue- cautionary tale! I am really on the fence about replacing these windows, but maybe your answer here, as to replacing these channel balances, will turn the corner on a decision! It's been suggested to lubricate the channels, but now that I see what happens when I remove, how cruddy they are after 36 years, and the fact that it shot out of there and I don't know how I'd get it reattached, and the quotes to replace being $250 per window,....Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6380.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6381.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6379.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6376.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6378.jpeg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help you find the correct replacement balances. To start with, the balances in your photos are spiral balances, which use the retractable spiral that comes out of the tube housing to anchor the balances to the bottom of the window sash. Channel balances are a whole different animal.

As far as identifying your balance, it looks like you'll need either the S400-30 or S500-30, depending on the diameter of your housing tube. The S400 measures 3/8", while the S500 is 5/8". Since the colored tip of your original balance is no longer discernable, you'll need to weigh your window sash and follow the chart under the balance product page to choose the corresponding strength color option.

Once you've determined the correct balance, I'd recommend taking a look at our balance replacement guide for non-tilt windows here to help you through the process. Thank you!

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.