Help identify the correct parts for a UB 28D

A home owner from Port Charlotte, Florida says:
Need help identifying replacement channel balances/parts. The current one is marked UB 28D. Metal part of balance is 29" long (not including plastic ends). Non-tilt window, 1/2" width. Window is 51" wide by 31.75" high and weighs 27.8 lbs. I have a 1" shoe depth. Based on my search of your site that would be a
S380-29 with a 2840 stamp option for the weight, and a 15-005 shoe.
Is that correct?

My other question is about the clips that would go above the balances. I don't have the old ones, but there is a 3/8" round hole with a 5/16" square hole about .5 inch above it. See pic.

Thanks for your time,
George

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2637.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi George. I can't confirm the identity of your old balance without seeing photos of it, but if the attachments and dimensions match the S380-29, then this would make sense; a stamp option of 28D does conform to our stamp option of 2840. It sounds like you also need Take-Out Clips; if there's an identical window in the house that still has them, see if our 16-002 matches what you need. 

Bob,

Thanks for getting back to me. I have enclosed a picture of the old broken balance. The windows do have the 16-002 clips installed. That isn't the clip I was referring to. Perhaps it is my lack of understanding of how these work, but I was referring to the clips that keep the balance from moving up when the window is opened. Perhaps this is the job of the Top Sash guide? On the other windows, when I open them, some balances move up with the window, and some do not. Usually on the same window?! Which was the problem I started with on this window. That was before one of the balances shot out into the yard in a tangle of string and spring when I removed the window.

Best regards,
George
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bal-1.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Hi George. Yes, thanks for clarifying--sounds like you're describing the Top Sash Guide. These are nylon pieces on the top corners of the window sash, and as you surmised, they're meant to keep the channel balance from shooting past the sash. These tend to break down from wear and sun exposure, and when they do, you can experience the problems you are having. We carry a wide variety of Top Sash Guides here, and the only way to know for sure which one you need is to see an undamaged version out of the window and from the front and side. For information on how to remove and replace Top Sash Guides, see the video below.

Bob,

Thanks for getting back. I have attached pics of a top Sash,with a crack. Hope these are sufficient to identify the correct part.

Regards,
George
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2675.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2676.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2677.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2678.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us, George. That top sash guide looks just like our 18-180. Look it over and let me know if you agree.

Okay - Think i'm finally ready to order. If I order the S380x29 will they include the top sash guide, or do I need to order those separate?

Best regards,
George
Profile picture of Bob

Hello, George. The 18-180 top sash guide is sold separately, so don't forget to add that to your cart before you checkout. Our balances come fully assembled and ready to install out of the box. The rule of thumb is that if something isn't directly riveted to the balance, then it's sold separately.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.