Identify correct series number on a 17 inch channel balance stamped 1640

A home owner from Melrose, FL. says:

Hello.... I would like to replace the channel balance in my aluminum framed windows. The windows are NON-TILT windows. The original channel balance devices are stamped "1640" and their length is 17 inches (metal part only). I have attached 5 pictures of the original channel balance devices as the windows are now 40 years old and I do not know the manufacturer.

I would like to know your part numbers for the correct replacement channel balance devices INCLUDING any plastic ends, rollers, clips, etc. as shown in the attached pictures.

Please advise and thanks in advance for your assistance.

Regards,

Bob

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190523_112304.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190523_112254.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190523_112245.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190523_112221.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190523_112200.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Bob! This looks similar to our S390-17. This comes with a 19-002 top and 15-001 bottom, so as long as those match up then I think it will work well. Take special note that the 15-001 is 1-1/8" deep. If yours is different, let me know. You may have something else.

All of our balances come fully assembled and ready to install out of the box.

Hello Tom,

My balance is only 5/8" deep X approx 1/2" wide. Options?

Bob
Tom,

Sorry, in my last reply I gave you the dimension of the metal part of the balance. Sorry for the confusion.

The 15-001 shoe on mine balance is only 1 inch deep. Perhaps it has worn down over the course of 40 years OR is there another shoe that is a full 1 1/8" deep?

Thanks again,
Bob
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! The 15-001 is a full 1-1/8" deep. You might have our 15-002 instead; this is the same as the 15-001 but 1". 

We can configure the S390-17 to use the 15-002 instead of the 15-001 but it will have to be a custom order,since this isn't a stock combination. If you're interested, can you tell me how many you need?  Once I know that, I can email you an order link and price quote.

Theoretically, you could also use the S390-17 as-is and shave the depth of the shoe down a little. However if you go that route then the balance cannot be returned for a refund, as it has been altered. Something to keep in mind.

Hello again Tom,

I would like to get a price on the S390-17 WITH 15-002 INSTEAD OF THE STOCK 15-001 plastic guide if possible as you described above. I would need TEN (10) balances total at this point. IF the custom price is significantly greater than the S390-17 with 15-001, I may just order one of these units with the 15-001 standard piece and try to shave the 1/8" off the depth as you suggested. Let me know and I will decide which way to go. BTW... I have SEVERAL other windows (of different/mostly larger sizes) that I will also be repairing in this same manner. I have not as yet pulled the balances from these windows but suspect I will be running into the same issue with those windows since they are all from the same manufacturer? To be determined.... Thanks again for your assistance.
Bob
Profile picture of Tom

Wow--I have to apologize. I had kind of a big brain fart in this discussion. I actually wrote out a whole long answer for you explaining how we price custom balances, but then I realized that you had a Series 390.

I thought I had suggested a Series 395, despite the fact that I, myself, typed Series 390 multiple times.

Fortunately, a fresh cup of coffee and an early start this morning has set me straight. This doesn't have to be custom made, it's simply our S351-17. This has a 19-002 top and 15-002 bottom. No need to do anything fancy. 

I'm very sorry for the confusion. The holiday rush has obviously gotten to me. Hopefully this makes things a lot easier for you. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Tom,

No worries..... Glad to hear that we will only need a "standard" item - the S351-17. Works for me!

I will order one or more of the S351-17s and see how they work out. Thanks for your help.

Bob
Profile picture of Tom

Excellent! Thank you very much, Bob. We appreciate your business, it means a lot.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.