In search of a replacement part for window

A quick learner from USA says:

Good Afternoon.

I hope that you might be able to help me. I have a double hung window that suddenly will not stay up - it appears that the weight/balance pieces have separated and my attempts to reattach have been short lived.

I have been in touch with the company that installed the window for us as well as Slocomb, the window's manufacturer. They indicated that I need a "spiral balance" and directed me to you for help in obtaining this part that they no longer stock.

I have attached some photos below - the first 4 photos show the part that seems to be broken; the last 3 photos show a working version of the part in separate but identical window. I would be so grateful if you could help me to access a replacement part. Please feel free to let me know if there is any other information I can provide you with that might be of help.

Thank you so very much in advance for your time and help with this issue! We are so grateful for your assistance!

Sincerely,

Kim 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image006.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image001 (4).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image003 (1).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image007.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image004 (1).jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Thanks for reaching out to us. We can definitely help with this project. Just eyeballing your photos here, I think our Series 600 spiral balance is exactly the part you need to repair this window. Just note that this balance has an outer tube diameter of 9/16". I think yours should be the same but you should definitely check to be sure.

There is only one other options, which is our Series 900. This has a 3/8" tube diameter instead.

Lastly, I'm not sure if you also needed that pivot shoe, but it's a discontinued model that's no longer made. However our 15-046 should work for you as long as your thickness is the same at 1/2".

The video below will show you how this hardware installs. I hope it gives you a better idea of what you're working with.

A home owner from Media, PA says:
Thank you so much! Seeing your post makes me feel so hopeful! :)

I am not sure I'm measuring the right thing---I am attaching photos of what I measured to make sure -- it does look like 1/2" wide (if I measured the right thing) and 25.5" long?

I'm not sure how to know if I need the pivot shoe or not --though I don't see any obvious damage, I am going to guess that II should get this piece too since it no longer seems able to hold the spiral piece (seems to release it as the window opens).

If the photos confirm your suspicion that a series 600 spiral balance is what we need and the replacement pivot as well, I assume we would need 2 of each (one for each side?) and the tool that is shown in your very helpful video. Can you tell me what this might cost (and if there is anything else I need to measure or check?)

Thank you so much-- really grateful you all exist!! :)

Kim
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0041.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0039.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0040.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

The diameter is measured as shown below but I would strongly recommend removing the balance from the window jamb to get accurate measurements. If the 5/8" diameter S600 matches your specifications, you could use the S600-26.

I also don't see any obvious damage to your pivot shoe but if you can't connect the spiral for some reason, then it would be a good idea to replace them.

Pricing for all of our parts can be found on our product pages and you will be provided with multiple shipping options to choose from at checkout. Thank you.

How to measure the tube width of a spiral balance.
How to measure the tube width of a spiral balance.

A home owner from Media, PA says:

Thank you so much for your help!! Just place an order - fingers crossed!

Thank you again!

Sincerely,

Kim

Profile picture of Tom

Thanks so much for your order, Kim! It means a lot. Please let me know if we can be of any further help, or if you had any follow up questions.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.