Milgard windows which are roughly 23 yearsold

A quick learner from Littleton, CO says:

Hi there!

I have multiple windows in which

1. the lock handle comes off. In all cases the locking mechanism works fine when you insert the handle and turn it, but the handle routinely comes off

2. the crank will open the window but not fully close it for locking. The window has to be pushed closed from the outside or pulled from the inside which is not easy!

My goal is to get replacement parts which I am sure I can install. Just want to make sure I am getting correct parts

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window crank1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window crank 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3465.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3468.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We should definitely be able to supply these two parts for you. Starting with the lock, you have an older style that's no longer in development, but we do offer a few modern parts that should work just the same, depending on size. Look at our 38-095, 38-096, 38-138, and 38-139 to start out. We have detailed dimensions on each product's store page that you can use as a reference.

Concerning the crank operator, we have two potential replacements: either the 39-253RB and 39-253LB, or the 39-438B and 39-439B. The only difference between these two pairs is the design of the guide at the end of the arm, which I cannot currently see. I recommend watching the video below for a more comprehensive description of what I'm talking about.

How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
How to Orient a Dual-Arm Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Comparing the 39-253LB & 39-438B Operators
Comparing the 39-253LB & 39-438B Operators
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.