Pivot bar for single hung window

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Roger,

Thank you for providing us with the measurements of your current bar. Would it be possible for you to also measure the distance from the center hole to the bottom? This will help us better identify the replacement part you need.

A home owner from Roswell NM says:

Photo shows a pivot bar for the single hung window. Hope you have them in stock. Tried to get the correct measurements, as the pivot bar is slightly bent. Will need 4 if in stock. Thank you, Roger

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSC_0722.JPG
hello Michael. As I stated the bar is slightly bent. So at best it measures 1 5/8". Hope that helps.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid that I couldn't find anything with that hole placement. I see that your pivot bar is a little bent, but it's not bent so much that it would make your hole placement that inaccurate. 

Let's try a different tact. If you can, please show me a photo of the pivot shoe with which this bar interacts. That may give us a clue as to what we're working with. Thank you!

Hello Tom: I also need two Pivot Shoe, and I believe your number for that shoe is 15-199. I had to get them in 2017 and that is the number from that order. Hope that helps.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

The 15-199 is compatible with our 26-378 Pivot Bar. The second of the mounting holes for this pivot bar is 2" from hole center to the tip. Could you see if the second of the two mounting holes on your old pivot bar is the same distance? If so this may work for you. Just measure the best you can, and let us know what you think.

Hello Bob: Here is a photo of our pivot bar. It is only 2-1/2 in. long, not 3 in. And has a different tip. Let me know if you get this photo. It is about 1 1/4" from end to middle hole, and about 3/8" from tip to first hole. thank you
Profile picture of Bob

The overall length of the pivot bar doesn't matter, as most of it is embedded within the window sash. Sorry if I wasn't clear enough, so let me clarify: by 'tip' I mean the t-shaped end that fits into the pivot bar. This is indeed more pronounced on the 26-378 than your old pivot bar, but should work fine with the 15-199. So the most crucial dimensions are the distance between the center of each mounting hole to the t-shaped end. Confirm these measurements, and in the meantime I will check in with colleagues who might have further insight. Thank you. 

The measurement from the t-shaped end to middle hole is 1 5/8". from the t-shaped end to the first hole is 2". The tip on my pivot bar is different than the 26-378 as shown in our photo. From the end hole to tip is 1/2". As shown in our photo. Thanks again.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Perhaps I can be of assistance. I joined this conversation late because of an operation, so bear with me. The total length of the pivot bar won't matter because the vinyl sash has room to accept the length. The tip of 26-378 will fit into the 15-199 pivot shoe; the other end goes into the vinyl sash. Are you using both screw holes in the pivot bar? The first hole is 1-5/8" from the "T" end and the second hole is 2 ". How can there be a 3/4" between the holes? Do you mean 1-3/16" and 2"? 

In any event, the mounting hole that is 2" from the "T" end seem to match both in your pivot bar and the 26-378. As long as one mounting hole aligns, a pivot bar usually can be used as a replacement.

Hello Paul: we have measured the distance between the holes many times. We also measured on the window screw holes also, it is 3/4". Now if the holes on the 26-378 are also 3/4" in between then it may work. Yes we are using both screw holes.
Profile picture of Bob

What Paul is saying though is that if the the distance is 3/4" between your mounting holes, then one of your measurements between the T-shaped tip and the holes might be off off. 2" and 1-5/8" do not allow for 3/4" space between the holes. The first mounting hole might be closer to 1-3/16", which aligns the 26-378. The mounting holes in the 26-378 are 1-3/16" and 2" from the T-shaped tip, respectively. This leaves a space between them that is very close to 3/4". 

Again though, we are splitting hairs here. The most important thing is that at least one of the holes on your old pivot bar has the same distance to the edge of the T-shaped tip. Not the other tip, and not the spacing between the holes, because you don't need to use both. To work as a replacement, a pivot bar typically only needs to use one of the mounting holes. So if the second of the mounting holes is 2" from the t-shaped tip, then this matches the 26-378.

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.