Pivot shoe broken in one unit.

A quick learner from Westfield, MA says:

I have CertainTeed double hung windows that were installed in approximately 1998. Need to replace both units and only ID # is a CL on the springs. Can shoe metal piece be replaced without spring? I enjoyed your website and learned a lot about fixing this problem but certainly don't want to order wrong parts. 

Thank you for your assistance. David 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

I'm afraid you can't replace the cam in your pivot shoe. Yours appears to be a match for our 15-177 which uses the Series 152 coil springs. For new coil covers, see our 15-143 bushing, 15-144 cap, and 15-145 barrel. 

A home owner from Westfield, MA says:
Emily, Thanks for your quick response. Looking to determine what spring weights top select for both sides of window ( CLL on spring. Thanks.
Type of spring is CL. Also the the plastic covers the springs are not shaped the same . Thx
Profile picture of Emily

That "CL" stamp doesn't tell us what coil weight you need, unfortunately. If you can weigh your sash on a scale and tell me its precise weight, along with the total number of coils in the window, I can work out what you need.

We don't carry your exact coil covers but ours will work fine.

HI Emily. Getting back to you regarding weight of window for specific springs. The window weighs 11.6 pounds and has two springs for each side. Thank you. Dave
Profile picture of Emily

Thanks, Dave! You can use (1) S152-6 6 pound coil spring on each side of the window which totals 12 pounds of overall support. I know you said the sash weighs 11.6 pounds and you have two springs per side, but this set up should work for you as long as the coil weights are within a pound of your sash's actual weight. 

Hi Emily. Ordered 15-177 and S152-6 for window but both stems on the window appear too long. Only one fits in one shoe and overlaps it a lot. Sent pic of parts in question. Thank again.Dave
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E6A21C6E-B2E2-4887-9E5C-7FC0E00C1CFA.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 47E781DE-00E9-4FF4-9AFF-D15F087E2231.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

Hey, Dave. Can you elaborate on what you mean when you say it overlaps a lot? Assuming the issue is visible from the outside, can you show us a picture of it overlapping? Your old shoe appears to be identical to ours so there shouldn't be any issues. You could also try re-installing your sash to see if that helps. 

Hi Emily. Followed your advice and all is good. You were right on from the start and appreciated your patience and wisdom with my window problem. Keep up the great work! Dave
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you for the kind words, Dave! I'm always happy to help. If you have any future hardware repairs or questions, you know where to find me! 

Emily. For sure!!!!
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.