Polaris Window Balance Spring

A quick learner from Marysville, OH says:
Would like confirmation of the balance spring needed based on the photos. I did not remove the existing hardware because I will need to notch the track to remove, which I will do after receiving the new part.
Current spring width is 3/4" and weight of sash is 16.0lb. Based on the part description, pivot shoe type and weight of sash, I believe that I need part S170-408.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220924_142808.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220924_142824.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220924_150644.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

The Series 170 is designed to work with the 15-192 which is very different from your original pivot shoe so this isn't what you'd want. Yours was actually recently discontinued but you can use the 15-177 to replace it. This uses the 1/2" wide Series 152 coil springs so I recommend double checking the width of your old coil band. You may want to remove it from the window in order to get an accurate measurement. 

A quick learner from Marysville, OH says:
Good afternoon. I know it has been some time since my original post but I did verify that my spring width is 3/4". This would match the dimensions of the S170-408.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230615_163805.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I actually believe your shoe is discontinued but as a substitute, you can use the 15-192 pivot shoe. If you are handy, you can file the top and bottom ring down on your pivot bar to make it flat so it will slip in the 15-192's cam or you could use the 26-452. For a 16-pound sash, you can use (1) S170-408 8-pound spring on each side of the window. Take a look and see what you think. 

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.