Replacement coil balance

A handy person from Nova Scotia, Canada says:
We've just had a coil balance make a loud "snap" noise and appear at the bottom of the window slide, once I opened the window. Is this coil balance something that would have broken and fallen down, or is it something that may have let go and may be able to be reset back in place?

Thanks in advance...
Bryan
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named B739A989-E7DF-49DC-8688-3DC38F6C2FE0.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A9DEC9C4-0412-4C2F-8A80-7A0766C0B16F.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Bryan.

It looks like your coil spring may have broken and snapped which would explain the loud noise you heard. We can help but we would need to see an undamaged pivot shoe removed from the window in order to ID the compatible coil springs. Take a look at the videos we've related on this page and let us know if they help. 

Hi Emily, thank you for your response and the videos. I do not have any manufacturer made cutout for removing the pivot shoe, so I will have to try and make one, as per your video. However, I've noted that my window does not have a "sash stop" or "window stop", so my cutout will remain visible, unless I can find some sort of "plug" or piece of trim that can snap in there. I'm sending a video of what that side of my window frame looks like, so you can see what I'm describing....
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 57DEED37-3FC0-4426-AEAE-A2FB50AA74C2.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for the additional photo! It appears your pivot shoe is a match for our 15-215 which is used in the Series 140 coil balance assembly. To determine what coil weight option is needed, look for a code on the band of the coil spring. If there aren't any, weigh your sash on a scale and tell me its exact weight. I can calculate what you'll need from there.

Sorry for the long delay in my response, but I finally did have the opportunity to weigh the sash in question. It is 17 lbs in weight.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! If your sash is 17 pounds then my recommendation is the S140-9. A pair of these assemblies will carry sashes weighing 17 through 18.99 pounds. Just note that they are sold separately. 

Thanks, and how much would a single S140-9 cost? Do you ship to Canada? Any idea how much shipping may be?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You can see a detailed price breakdown on the store page linked to in my previous response. We do ship to Canada, but I unfortunately don't know how much shipping would be off the top of my head. I can tell you that the cost will be calculated for you automatically during the checkout process.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.