Replacement coil balance and shoe

A handy person from New Jersey says:

Hello, I'm looking for the L&R coil balance for a double pane window with a sash that's 33" x 18"

with pivot bar photo...window weighs just shy of 13 lbsMany Thanks,Jim C

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window3.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Unfortunately, we do not carry an exact match for your old-style pivot shoe but our 17/32" thick 15-199 is similar and may work as a replacement. You'll just need to compare our dimensions to yours to ensure it will fit in the window track. 

For compatible coil springs, see the 1/2" thick S160-6 or the 3/8" thick S165-6 coil springs depending on the size of your originals. As for the pivot bar, take a look at our 26-378 to see if the dimensions below match up to yours. Thanks for posting! 

Alternate view of 15-199
Alternate view of 15-199

Alternate image for 26-378
Alternate image for 26-378

A quick learner says:
Thanks for the fast reply. Its greatly appreciated.

The holes in 26-378 aren't in the same location as my current pivot bar. Whats the better option...drill new holes in 26-378, or line up the new bar where the old was and run in the screws in the new holes. If the second is sealing the old holes needed?
Profile picture of Casey

If you could write out the exact backset of your installation holes, we'd be happy to confirm if we carry any other pivot bars that would work with the 15-199 pivot shoe without modifications. 

A quick learner says:
I hope these photos give you the information needed.
Looks like 26-241 pivot bar has the hole line up but the head is different. Also, am I correct to assume the pivot bar is just screwed into the vinyl? so could I just line up 26-378 and use its holes instead?

Again, thank you so much for the assistance.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named win4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window5.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Good catch! I do see that we have recommended the 26-241 to replace a similar pivot bar to yours. Take a look at the other customer's thread hereYou are correct that pivot bars are screwed into the sash. You could make new installation holes to match at least one of the ones in the 26-378 pivot bar, but you would have to be very careful not to accidentally hit the glass in your sash in the process. I would personally opt for the 26-241 if the installation holes line up with yours since it would also be compatible with the 15-199 pivot shoe. 

Alternate image for 26-241
Alternate image for 26-241

A quick learner says:
I installed the 15-99 shoe with 6.5lb S160-6 coil but the window is a bit harder to open than it was. I was able to see a very faint 7S on my old 1/2 inch coil so I'm guessing its a 7 pounder.

My question is whats the best recommendation ...the window weighs 12.8 pounds and the old coil is half inch. Do I purchase 7.5lb 1/2 coils, 7lb 3/8 inch coils or live with the harder opening window.

Again thanks for all the help. Hopefully this will be my last question concerning this issue :)

Profile picture of Casey

Do your original coil springs match the 1/2" width of the S160 springs that you purchased? If so, you should stick with the S160. As for your window being harder to open, the 6-1/2 pound coils should be strong enough since using one on each side of the window would support a total of 13 pounds. With that being said, you are welcome to purchase the S160-7 coils but they would support a 15-pound sash, which may cause your window to be difficult to close. If needed, you can find our return policy here

Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.