Replacement concerns for window crank

A quick learner says:
Hi there, 25 years ago I built this house. I got a deal on some windows at the local lumber yard so I bought them. In all these years I have never used them because they wouldn't open, wouldn't close . Horribly designed M&W. Recently I forced them all open and it really moved the air through my house so I decided to fix them. Put in all new seals and they work okay. I ordered new handles from you and they work well but I still needed a ladder to open the upper ones. I spent hours on your site deciding what I needed, or thought I needed but blew it. I bought 4-2 " extensions, 4- universal swivels and a pole hook. Nothing works. Can't really turn the crank and the swivel just binds right up. I think I over ordered thinking I knew something. I just tried one extension and swivel . I asking for you help to a solution.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0055.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0053.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0052.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I actually think two of the parts you bought were perfect, but they were only half of what you need; I'm specifically talking about the 39-336 joint ring and the 39-337 extension. The 38-116 pole hook is no good for this application since it's designed for a very particular kind of skylight operator, which isn't what this kind of window is. Your operators, even if they are in a higher window, are still technically normal awning window operators and should be treated as such.

In addition to the 39-336 joint ring and 39-337 extension, you'll also need the 39-338 base joint, 39-339 connector, and 39-157B bracket. The idea is that the 39-338 base joint goes on the operator and has the 39-339 connector plugged into it. Then the 39-337 extension attaches to that, then the 39-336 ring goes at the end. That should allow you to rotate the operator from below as normal. The 39-157B bracket just helps all this stay stable on the sill.

The diagram below may be helpful to you. This shows you how all these parts install. My only concern here is whether or not your sill has the clearance for this setup. In a worst case scenario, you can always remove the extension and just have the 39-336 joint ring attach directly to the base joint.

SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.