Replacement Coil Balances Needed

A quick learner from New York says:
I just used up my last 2 coil spring systems. I don't know why but one side of the windows coil is stamped 8k and the other side is stamped 7k. I don't know if I made the mistake years ago replacing them.
Please advice... wouldn't it be better if both side were held up with 8k .. stronger.

If so I need I need 6 total pieces. Do also have the covers. I'll need 2 new ones

Thanks in advance,

Amy
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 86031606-07AF-4F8E-AE80-C6DD77044016.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6C530A17-B5AF-4F11-91AE-E4EF656DA0EC.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Amy. This looks like a 15-177 Pivot Shoe, which uses our Series 152 Coil Balances. It definitely is not right to have an S152-7 7 lb spring on one side of the sash, and an S152-8 8 lb spring on the opposite side. This would lead to wear and tear of both springs more quickly overtime. You really want the overall weight support to be as close to the exact sash weight as possible. I advise you obtain the exact weight of your window sash. Give us that exact weight, and we can work out what you need.

For new Coil Housing parts, see our 15-143, 15-144, and 15-145

Hi.

Thanks for the response. Before I go and take out that window again, can you tell by these stickers ???
Profile picture of Bob

Hey Amy. Unfortunately no; manufacturer information isn't helpful in this case, as window balance hardware varies dramatically independent of window make information. You'll need those stamp codes, or at least the exact weight of the sash, to determine the spring weights you need. 

Ok. Will weigh the window. Thx. 

Hey,

The bottom window weighs 14lbs. So that means I need 7 lbs coils. My question however is wouldn't it be better for 8 lbs since they snap so often. I mean why would they snap every couple of years?

Thank you,

Amy

Profile picture of Bob

Hi Amy. It definitely is odd if these coil balances are breaking every few years; however stronger coil springs would not be the answer. With all window balances, you want the weight they are calibrated to support to be as close to the window sash's exact weight as possible. Coil balances that are meant to support a window sash lighter than yours would cause the window to have trouble staying open; but also, balances meant for a heavier weight would make closing the window difficult. You want to be as close to the exact weight as possible (with coil balances specifically, essentially within 1 lb). 

So if the window sash weighs exactly 14 lbs, then you'd want 7 lbs of support on each side of the sash. One cause for these old coil balances snapping would have been using differently-calibrated coil springs on each side of the sash: a 7 lb spring in tandem with an 8 lb spring would cause inevitable tear over time and more quickly than should otherwise be due to the uneven weight distribution. If you think these coil springs were breaking every few years regardless, though, I would just check around the house to make sure that this is the same coil balance system in all the windows--in other words, to bolster your confidence that the 15-177 and Series 152 springs wasn't an incorrect replacement at some point! I kind of doubt this is the case if the window operates fine until the balances break, however. 

Long story short, for the 15-177 Pivot Shoe and a sash weighing 14 lbs, two of the S152-7 7 lb springs should work for you. 

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.