Replacing my channel balance

A home owner from St. Louis, Missouri says:

Hi,

I have windows that are 30 years old. I'm looking to replace the channel balances in one of my windows. The balances that I have are stamped 2830 A. I found a balance on your site, 28" SERIES 770 BALANCE - 28B, that's close but not identical. My balances have a 13 1/4 inch spring on the top part and the pulley assembly on the bottom part. The width and height is approx. 1/2 inch.

Would I run into to any problems using the 770 28B series of balance?

Thanks for your help,

Dave

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190409_180725.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190409_180705.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. I'm not sure if I see any reason to think this isn't a Series 770. The length of the spring doesn't really matter; what matters is that our spring is on the top and our pulley is in the bottom. That is the case with your balance as well. Does anything else differ, such as the style of the clip at the end of the cord? If it's different, let us see a picture. Otherwise I think this is a Series 770. Confirm that the metal channel is 28" long; if so, its a S770-28. The stamp code of 2830 is a little weird for this type of balance; but to know what stamp option to select, weigh your window sash. You can then match that precise weight with one of the weight ranges listed with each stamp option on the product page.  

HiBob,
Thanks for your response. I measured the balance and it is 29 inches.The weight of the sash is about 25 lbs. I was under the impression that the stamp indicated length and weight (e.g. 28L and 30W). I attached an image of the clip. Based on the length and weight I just provided, it looks like I'll need the S770-29D or E. I should probably order the the 15-129 Pivot Shoe to be on the safe side. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Dave
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190410_175753.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Ah, that clip is not the same as what's on our Series 770. While the S770-29 would act as a base, the hook at the end is more like our 62-105.

We can make this for you but it would have to be a custom order since we need to tie the clip on there. If that sounds good to you, let me know how many you need and I can email you an order link and price quote for the requested quantity. For a sash weighing 25 pounds, we'd go with the 29D option. If you wanted to be 100% sure, you could get the exact sash weight.

Hi Bob,
What if I replace the pivot shoe that is currently in my window with the 15-129 pivot shoe? Would that work?

Dave
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

No, don't order the pivot shoe until I see your old one. If your balance uses the 62-105 balance hook, then the 15-129 shoe is not the correct one. We will need to identify the correct pivot shoe. If you could show it to us, removed from the window, that would be of great help.

Okay, I'll try to get to this over the weekend.
Hi,
Here are a couple of images of the pivot shoe in my window. I couldn't get it out of my window frame. Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Dave
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190420_134132.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this. This is our 15-105; I'm afraid we don't have any other shoe that will work in place of this. Your only option will be a custom made balance. This is an older style system that just isn't made anymore. 

With that in mind, we just need to know how many balances you need. We have all the other details to get started.

Hi,
I need two balances. Could you please provide me with a cost to customize and deliver two balances?

Thanks,
Dave
Profile picture of Bob

Sure thing, I'll have my colleague Tom shoot over an order link and price quote for 2 right now.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.