Replacing window crank operator

A quick learner from Ann Arbor, MI says:
Please send me the product code to order replacement crank operator mechanism. The window brand is "truth".

Thank you?
Gwenis
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 509668A2-7379-431C-B15C-6FC1A37EBB97.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5918100B-8C9A-410D-9C73-BC23A74BD2C9.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6634F940-1E57-41F1-846F-05C90C166A29.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Gwenis. I'm sorry, but there's really no way for me to tell what operator you need from this picture alone. Could you show me the entire operator from a 'bird's eye' view? That will better help us determine possible replacements. Many thanks.

Hi Bob,

Thank you for your reply.

I can not take a birds eye view picture of the operator mechanism since only the inside portion, which I am sending a photo of) is on view. The other half of the mechanism is under the window frame and attached on the outside by 4 screws.

The issue was not resolved with a new crank.

It seems like the metal piece that the crank fits over is loose thus I believe the entire mechanism needs replaced.

Please let me know serial number to order replacement. The photo shows a left side crank fit but I need a right side fit.

Thank you,
Gwenis
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AC4D1165-E010-4E94-8D10-959D3316F81A.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob

Looks like this is the base, but I'm afraid that doesn't tell me much since you already showed it in your first batch of photos. What I meant before is that we need to see as much of the operator in one shot as possible. This may require you removing it from the window before you take your photo, or at least removing the screen, opening the window as far as it can go, and taking a clear picture of the mechanism that way. 

Ultimately, seeing only part of the operator won't help. We need to see as much of it as physically possible in one shot. Seeing how each portion of the operator is designed in the context of the rest of the mechanism is important in identifying a match, since they all tend to be very similar. Seeing it removed from the window is ideal but if that's not possible then please show as much of it as you can.

Hi Bob,

I am unable to remove the operator. There are 4 screws on the outside but only 2 are within my reach and I don't have the tools to get to the other 2 since they are directly underneath a tight window frame.

I was going to have a handyman install the new operator once ordered.

The only picture of the outside I can take because of that window frame is the one attached.

Does it help to know the company name is truth?

The owner of the house thought it may be either 39-020 or 39-021.

I hope I don't have to hire a handyman to remove it just to order a new one.

Thanks
Gwenis
Profile picture of Bob

I'm afraid not. Truth has made about a million different operators. That won't narrow it down by much.

I can at least say that you definitely don't have the 39-020 and 39-021. The style of the base is too different from yours. 

I'm afraid that without seeing more of the operator, we cannot recommend a match. Too many important details are obscured. Based on the photo you're showing us here, you should be able to disconnect the arm from the track, then simply lift the camera up and show us a wider shot. Seeing the complete arm would at least allow us to narrow it down.

I took a wider shot from a ground floor window.
Attached
I could not remove the arm.

Let me know.
Thanks
Gwenis
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named AC60E11F-FC87-4993-BCC3-630070D84922.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4F0459E6-80E7-490E-8745-CB9F02810886.jpeg
You can not get a shot of the entire outside portion of the operator because half of it is obscured by the window frame as you can see.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I understand that the base is obscured by the trim, but the arm isn't. The metal arm coming out of the base is just as essential to the process of identification as the base. If you can disconnect the arm from the sash track and show us a clear picture of that, we can try to find a good match.

Profile picture of Tom

Perfect, that's exactly what we needed to see. Start by looking at our 39-013 and 39-014. These have a 13-1/2" long arms, so as long as that matches up then I think they can work well as substitutes.

The only thing that may prevent these from working is the elliptical style base. That's how this kind of operator is made these days; Truth no longer uses the square base that you have now. Since your operator is so deeply recessed under the sill trim, a different shape base may present an issue, but that's one of those things that you won't know until it's in there. 

Here you go. Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1625699C-07F5-44DF-9CFB-3B2B2006F62D.jpeg
Thanks, Tom.
Does it matter if the crank handle is on the left or right side of the base?

Gwenis
Never mind my last question...that's why you gave me two numbers!!

Thanks for everything...I'll give it a shot!

Gwenis
Hi Tom,

What is Swisco's return policy in case the part doesn't work out?

Thanks,
Gwenis
Profile picture of Tom

My pleasure! Please let us know how it works out or if you have any other questions. We're happy to help as best as we can.

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.