Requesting a sanity check please.

A handy person from Missouri says:
After reviewing images on your Web site, I think I need to order 35" Series 795 Channel Balance
Product Code: S795-35. I will include pictures.

Although the balances I need to replace have a 35B stamp, I think I should bump up to a 35C since the sash weighs 23 pounds.

FWIW, there are two sashes in the window. Although I have not removed it to confirm, one sash has a single working balance that I assume is also a 35B. Since that window works, I did not want to risk breaking it to confirm.

Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Side view.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Balance Detail 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Dimensions.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Retainer Tonuge Side.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Retainer Tonuge Top.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We'd be happy to help but this would need to be a custom order since your original balances use the 15-198 clip attached to the end of the pulley cord, which does not come with the stock S795 balances. 

Your photos also resemble the 15-236 T-lock shoe except that yours appears to have an open mental cam. Our custom balances would come with the 15-195B open cam T-lock shoe since our balance channels do not have the same groove at the end to accommodate the 15-236 style shoe. 

If your window sash weighs exactly 23 pounds, I agree that you would need 35C strength options for your 35" long balances. We'll just need you to confirm the number of replacements that you need, with the minimum being two, to send you an order link and price quote. Thank you! 

Okay, thank you.

There are two sashes so I would need 4 balances. And yes, the 15-236 Lock Spring Shoe looks like the current installation.

I would not be able to use the screw plugs since the current installation has a 3/8" diameter hole for the clips.

What will 4 balances cost?

Thank you.
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for getting back to us. We just sent over an order link and price quote for the balances you requested. Take a look and let us know if you need anything else.

I have received the non-returnable custom order and I have a question.

The orientation of the Attachment Clip on the 35C is the opposite of what it was on those I am replacing, 35B. The new ones would have the open side of the balance facing the window instead of the jamb if I install the balances with the clips as delivered.

Will it be a problem to spin the clip around when installing the balance?

That won't be good on the plastic assembly at the top of the balance but the window won't be close to the clip very often.

Also, the 15-236 1-1/4" T-Lock Spring Shoe, Closed Cam looks like it would be easier to install the window clip into the cam but my existing window clips do fit the new open cam you sent me.

The old balance had an indentation that makes it easier to get the window in place.

Thank you.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Clip orientation.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Insertion point.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

The hook can sometimes twist around since it is connected to a piece of cord with nothing to keep it facing one direction. You can simply turn it around to face the channel when installing the balances.

As for the T-lock shoe, it sounds like the problem you're having with installation is due to the fact that our balances do not have the same groove at the base of the metal channel that creates additional clearance to engage the pivot bar with the 15-195B t-lock shoe. Ours can still work but you will need to install the sash with one balance sitting a few inches higher in the track so that you can hold the sash at an angle to insert one pivot bar at a time and twist it so that both sides engage with the pivot shoes. Give it a try and let us know if you have any other questions. 

How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.