Rusting Spiral Balance and Pivot Shoe

A landlord from Oak Island NC says:
I am working on an oceanfront beach house house has windows with rusted pivot shoes and Spiral balances. We want to replace all of the pivot shoes and balances but fear they will just rust again in a few short years. The window are kept open during the spring and fall and so much salt air gets to them. Are pivot shoes and balance available with stainless steel parts or something that will not rust. We have identified the parts we need as the 15-015 pivot shoe and the S900-21 spiral balance. Thanks for your advice.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Good Afternoon,

I understand your concern. Unfortunately, the spiral balances do not come in stainless steel. You are correct about the salt air, many ocean-front homeowners have this problem. One suggestion would be to use a silicone-based spray when installing the new items. You could continually give them a spray in the Fall and Spring as well.
A quick learner from Oak Island NC says:
Thanks for your advice! I am planning to order the S900-21 spiral balances and the 15-015 pivot shoes for 13 windows that enclose the porch. If I want to replace all of the items in the window that allow it to be raised and tilted, will I need to order anything else? Are the S900-21 spiral balance sold in pairs? Do the pins that go into the bottom of the window and then into pivot shoe come with the pivot shoe. Thanks.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
The S900-21 spiral balances are not sold in pairs, they are sold individually.

The pivot pins are sold separately. You may be able to reuse your old ones (unless they have rusted too). You can find pivot pins in our sash pivot bar catalog section. If you need help choosing the pivot pin from our catalog, please feel free to submit a picture here for us to look at.

You may need new installation screws if your old screws have rusted. See our 33-016, these are stainless steel screws used to fasten the balance to the window frame.

You will want to purchase a charging tool if you do not have one already. See 75-006 for the standard tilt-window charging tool or 75-033 for the deluxe contractors version. Here is a guide on how to charge a tilt-window spiral balance. Also check your windows for any other broken hardware such as sash guides or tilt latches.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.