Top window won't stay up

A landlord from Erie, PA says:

The top window of one of my Traco double hungs will not stay up. Is there a cable or something that needs replaced?
spiral balance
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like the balance has lost some of its tension. I recommend looking at the guide below, this will tell you what you can do to get that tension back.
Does the bottom window spiral balance control both windows? Or is there supposed to be one for the upper window too?
Profile picture of Tom
Oh, I see. Yes, the top sash should also have its own spiral balance. It might be the same as the bottom sash, but this is not always the case. I would see if you have an identical window elsewhere in the house that you can use as a reference.
I realized that the spiral balance is not connected (broken?) on the top window. Hadn't noticed this previously. I presume this can be replaced?
Profile picture of Tom
Yep, spiral balances are pretty easy to replace. You can see our entire selection here. It's important to keep in mind that the supper and lower sash may use different sizes and strengths. If you have an identical window in the house, it'd be a good idea to look over the balances to confirm.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.