Unknown balance clip

A quick learner from USA says:
I just bought a house, and all of the balances are broken.
The windows are metal, single hung.
They look like thin spiral balances. However, I can't figure out where the spiral latches onto the window jamb. There are no little clips stuck to the wall of the window jamb. I don't know if they were ever there.
What parts should I look for?
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I think you might have a Series 400 3/8" tube spiral balance. This balance hooks to a clip attached on the side of the sash. You have builder's grade windows where the sashes are not removable. You will need to install the balances while the sash is in the frame.
A quick learner says:
Would this be the clip I need to attach the spiral balance to the window, 17-094? I am going to replace the spiral balances that are shown in the picture as I bent them removing them. However, I have 5 windows with these spiral balances. None of them have the clips on them to hold the window in place. Do you think that all the spiral balances need to be changed or just get the clips and hope for the best? The one that is in the picture is pretty hard to move up and down. Seems to be dirty and at this point it is now bent.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Assuming that's what you have, the 17-094 clip bracket locks on the bottom edge of the window, while the balance spiral "cross" locks in the clip.

And yes, the other balances might just need to be charged and locked into the clip. See the guide below.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)