A home owner from Somerset, New Jersey says:
Hope you can help. I have Capitol window, single hung, insulated double pane window with vinyl frame, tilt-in lower sash. The window is big 36" x 72". Sorry but I cannot find a style number or any other identifying info.

The mechanism in the side track that allows you to raise and lower the window and keeps it open has broken. The coil has snapped and needs to be replaced. This has happened twice before and I was able to get it repaired by a local Window repair guy who has since gone out of business. I have a handyman who says he can fix it, but we cannot find the part anywhere. Direct inguiries to Capitol Window have gone unanswered. Thank You.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! It sounds like you need a new Coil Balance System. Would you happen to know if the coil spring has any numbers stamped on it? This will help us determine a replacement. If at all possible, you may want to also take a few pictures of the assembly and upload them here for us to see.
A home owner from Somerset NJ says:
Thank You for getting back to me so quickly Tom ! I checked again and cannot find a number on it anywhere. Will try to find someone to take some pics.

In the meantime I clicked the link you sent and the part looks like the S140 series. I think it is a double coil, but not sure. There are definitely 2 coils at the top piece that is screwed in place with 2 screws, and then the second coil goes all the way down to something at the bottom. Afraid to take the window out to see exactly what is at the bottom. Are the coils pictured 2piece? Does the window get inserted into the bottom part which is the movable part? Sorry, not handy at all here.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
It's possible that you have the Series 140 coil balance, but I can't really confirm without knowing the stamps or at least seeing a picture of the assembly. Let me know as soon as you can get pictures! It would definitely help us locate a substitute.

These balance assemblies are sold individually, not by the pair. And yes, the moving part I believe is what is known as a Pivot Shoe, which is what the window sash rides on as it is raised up and down.
A home owner from Somerset NJ says:
I did a search and your previous discussion entitled "Coil Balance Parts" on October 2, 2011 from someone in Old Lyme CT ref 77-10073 contains a picture of exactly what I have and need to replace. Hope this helps and that you can tell me exactly what I have to order from you.

Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! If you have the same system as the customer in question, then it looks like everything was already recommended in that thread. That customer appeared to have a Series 190 coil spring, as well as a 15-180 Coil Balance Shoe and a 15-181 Double Support Detent Clip.

That said, I cannot say if that is exactly what you need, as I do not know the stamp found on your coil balance. I cannot know what type of Series 190 coil spring you have. However, please look through the above hardware and double check to make sure all the dimensions match. If you still can't find a stamp on your coil spring, please let me know the weight of your window sash, and I will attempt to find an applicable replacement.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 4-7 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at 856-317-6263 or at