What part is this and how do I replace it

A quick learner from Virgina Beach says:
I need to replace a window part and I don't want to pay $400 for someone to do it. What part is broken in the images, there is a metal coil that looks like it is broken sitting in the bottom of the window. I can barely open and can't close the window. I can change the part myself if it's not too hard but don't have a clear idea of what it's called. I believe these were installed by home depot before we bought the house. TY.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5995.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_5767.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there!

The part in your pictures is called a coil balance assembly. We can definitely help but we'll need to see a picture of your pivot shoe removed from the window, along with dimensions, to compare to our inventory. If we can ID the pivot shoe, that will tell us the coils and accessories that you’ll need. I'll also post a few videos below that you may find helpful.

Let me know if you have any questions!

the piece for the above window is jammed in there but I now have another broken piece and am showing images from that window. I'll need to replace 2.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6421.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6422.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Thanks for the additional pictures! You have an old Simonton balance that isn't made anymore but take a look at the video below where we walk you through the entire replacement process, along with the other parts that you'll need for this repair.

Thank you. Do you have the piece for the coil balance assembly as well. I'll order this all together.
Profile picture of Emily

Sure, it looks like you have a double coil support but please correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case, see the 15-256.

Thank you. If you look at the original question, It looks like the coils broke. I need the part that has the coil balancer as well. I see the pivot shoe but need the balancer as well. The entire piece both top and bottom, the coil balancer and Pivot shoe. I see the coil support and pivot shoe you sent over but no coils.
Profile picture of Emily

If you watch the video I linked you to previously, you'll see all the parts we recommend for the 15-259 conversion which is designed to work with the Series 159 coil springs. 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.