Window balance ID

A home owner from Brooksville, FL says:
I have a window that is 51 1/2" W x 60 3/4" H. My window balances are broken and I need to replace them.
The Length of the balance measures 28" is 1/2" wide and is ribbed. I have attached photos to help me identify parts. This is a tilt window and should be in the S750 or S751 series. However , there is no option for 28F. I only see 28F in the S770 series but the balances are not ribbed. Hope you can help.
Please let me know all the parts I need to replace balance.
Thank you for replying to my email. I just wanted to check and see if the pictures are clear and if you have enough information.
Thank you again!
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I believe we can make this balance, though it will have to be a special order. It's a discontinued type that's no longer made. Please bear with us a little longer as we look into whether it's still possible for us to provide.

One thing I can say for sure is that we won't be able to replace the metal clip in your first photo. You'll have to reuse that, so make sure to hang onto it.

Profile picture of Tom

Okay, we have determined that we can make this. We can frankenstein our S751-29 with a 15-198 hook on the cord and a rivet on the other side so you can install that same metal clip shown in your first picture. This should work in the same capacity of your old balance. I want to stress that we cannot provide that metal clip, so you will need to reuse all your old ones.

The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is what spring strength option to go with. Can you tell me the exact weight of your window sash? The stamps available for this balance are:

• 28R 15 to 22 lbs
  • 28HD 22 to 28 lbs
  • 28TG 28 to 35 lbs

Finally, please tell me how many you need. Once I have this information, I'll email you a custom order link and price quote.

Hi Tom,
I do not know the weight of the sash. However, the balance is stamped 28F then BSI vertically then AX (see 4th photo).
I also found out that the window was originally manufactured by Alenco Windows which is now Ply Gem. I also managed to find the series from a different window in the house. So I stress, the 2 pictures are from a different window that is a different size. However, I think where it shows BAL841/28B it would be BAL841/28F.
Hope this helps. I have also requested information from Ply Gem (found out they bought Alenco) but have not heard back.
Thank You
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks again for waiting! We were able to work with this information, thank you. I'm still not sure how many you need, so I will send you two price quotes: one for 2 balances, which is our minimum, and one for 10 balances, which is our first price break. If you want to change that quantity, please let me know right here in this thread and I'll be happy to do so.

I would need just 2 balances.
Profile picture of Tom

Great! Well I sent a link to you for that quantity, so if you check your email you should see it. Please let me know if you ever need anything else!

Hi Tom,
Is the 15-198 for the top of the balance? I just want to make sure because the clip in my first picture is the clip that goes from the bottom of balance spring into pivot lock shoe.
Correct?
Another question.
All the balances shown have the cord on the bottom and the spring on top.
My balance is the opposite. Cord on top, spring on bottom.
Will the S751 work that way?
Thanks
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, the 15-198 is for the top. As I mentioned in my prior two posts, we cannot supply the clip in your first picture. You have to reuse it. They just don't make it anymore.

Don't worry about how the cord and springs are oriented in your balance. That doesn't matter. I've seen a million balances that all have different spring and cord orientations and it's never affected the balance's function.

My confusion is he following:
The S751-29 video shows the balance being installed in a "jamb liner". My balance is just on the jamb, held at the top by a clip similar to the 15-198. The bottom is secured by the clip in the first picture which is attached to a Pivot Lock Shoe similar to the 15-134.
The S751 comes with a 15-014 knife lock shoe which "locks" into the jamb liner. Is the customization to not have that knife lock shoe, or do I attach my clip to that knife lock shoe to my pivot lock shoe?
I ask because I also have to replace my pivot lock shoe and the tilt pivot. The pivot lock shoe is broken and so are the tilt pivots.
Does this put us in a different direction?
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, we will be customizing this balance to accept the same metal clip your old balance used. It will not have a knife lock shoe. We're only using the Series 751 as a base, we will be altering it in order to match your specifications. Because of this, I wouldn't focus on how the Series 751 functions. By the time we send it to you, it will not work like the Series 751 works at all.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.