Window parts

A home owner from Garden City, KS says:
Greetings! I am in need of parts for my tilt windows. I will need each of the separate parts in the photos but I am unsure of the part numbers, measurements, etc. The pivot shoe has a patent number 4,610,108 stamped into it. It measures approx .5"x 1"x 1.25." It has two (balance) coils as shown in photos 3311 & 3312: one has a numeral '4' on it shown in photo 3316. The other coil has numerals which are not very clear, they appear in photo 3320. Please help with identifying these parts and advise if I need to send more (or clearer) photos or description. Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3311.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3312.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3320.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3316.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Your pivot shoe looks like a match for our 15-111, which is designed to be used with the 1/2" thick Series 160. I think these parts are just what you were looking for, but let me know what you think.

Tom, thank you for your prompt reply. In viewing the Series 160 Coil Balances, how will I determine which of the coils is the correct "weight" for my application as the numerals on my coil balances are not very legible?
(3.5, 4.5, etc)

Again, thank you for your assistance with my window needs!
Tom.....sorry, I forgot to ask about this in my previous reply. The series 160 balance shows the coil balance as a unit of one (1) whereas, my windows have two (2) coil balances per side. Can you please clarify this for me?
Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom

In answer to your first question, there should be a number printed on the band of your spring to tell you what the weight is. In fact I think I see it in your first batch of photos, specifically your third photo. It's a little faint, though, and my eyes aren't what they used to be. You should check that to see what it reads.

While you're looking at it, you should check to confirm that it's 1/2" thick too. Better safe than sorry. We also sell the Series 165, which is the same design but only 3/8" thick.

You are correct in noting that we sell these springs individually. If you have two springs per side, then you will need to purchase that many springs from our site. Please understand that all of our balance parts are sold separately, they don't come as assembled units. The shoe is our 15-111, the spring is either our Series 160 or Series 165, and the cover is either our 15-150D (1/2" thick) or 15-204 (3/8" thick).

My apologies, Tom, but I don't find a double coil cover that is just like mine. The images on the website show a single mounting screw hole and my cover has two mounting screw holes(photo attached). The coils are 1/2" coils but the numbers are faded so, do I just need to be sure that both sides of the window have the same tension/weight of coils?

If any of the parts I order are not correct may I return them for the correct items?

Again, thank you....you guys are terrific.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_3328.JPG
Profile picture of Tom

If your spring is 1/2" thick then you can use our Series 160 and 15-150D cover. The design of the cover is a little different but as long as your springs are 1/2" thick then it will work just fine.

If there are no stamps printed on the spring that you can read, then you'll have to get the exact weight of the sash and then divide that number by 4, which is the number of springs used to support it. For example, if your sash weighs 24 pounds then you'll want four 6 pound springs. Hopefully that makes sense.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.