Window parts to simonton windows.

A quick learner from Pennsylvania says:
I'm looking to replace a few broken window closures. These are simonton windows about 10-15 years old. Some of the smaller windows are single spool but the bigger ones are duel spool.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 6717FF32-45BF-47B8-87A5-405620E35FFE.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A9A182BB-E334-46D8-9ADA-67F585B16DDA.jpeg
Profile picture of Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thank you for posting, 

To further review for a replacement, we will need to see pictures of the pivot shoe that the coils attach to. Thank you! 

They are the 5500 series windows if that helps. See the picture of the shoe attached.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 9BFFC4B5-ED75-4CC8-8A01-9140BB2C2B83.jpeg

Thank you for the additional pictures,

Your assembly resembles an older Simonton balance that is no longer made. We recommend converting to the 15-259 pivot shoe and Series 159 coils springs as a replacement. Please review the step by step video below regarding the conversion and additional products needed. Let me know if you have any questions. 

They look right to me. Next question before I order them.

The shoes are good, I have 25 in my cart.

I took 1 of my springs out to look for markings and the only thing I can find is "40" which refers to length I assume.

As far as weight, I weighed each window and wrote the weight down. Example, a 20 pound window sash wound need a 10 lb spring on each side to equal 20ish pounds of lifting power right?

And for the heavier 30lb sashes I have they have double strings on each side so I assume 2-8b springs on each side totaling 32 lbs of lifting power.

Hello!

The Series 159 coil springs are measured and can hold .5 pound increments. 

You have two options for a 20 pound sash weight. First option you could use (1) 10.5 lb S159-10 on each side of the window to equal 21 pounds. The extra pound should not be an issue, but later down the line you may find the window is a little harder to close.

Second option, is doubling up the coils and using (1) 4.5 lb S159-4 and (1) 5.5 lb S159-5 on each side of the window to equal 20 pounds. 

For the 30 pound sash, we suggest using (2) 7.5 pounds coils S159-7 on each side of the window to equal 30 pounds. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.