Window will not latch shut

A home owner from Greeley Colorado says:

My window will not close far enough for the latch to catch and lock. The brand is Ashland. The handle seems to be stripped. Sometime is works and moves the window when cranking/turning the handle and some times it does nothing. Picture has part numbers stamped on it.

I think I need to replace the handle and associated mechanism?

The window is fine otherwise.

Thanks for your help

Amy 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1E2D26E8-2295-4C69-B3D5-8D1154B5A5B7.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 202EC9EF-F2BB-45B9-880B-890F4B937D61.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Amy. Sounds like you need a new operator. You can probably reuse your old handle.

Start by looking at our 39-315 and 39-316. I think you'll find these match up very well. You'll note that these lack the metal clip at the end of the link arm like your originals. You can either reuse your old clips or you can use our 39-105

Look these parts over and let me know what you think!

Thanks for the information.
Next question is how hard it's it to replace? Is it something that and regular homeowner can do?
Profile picture of Tom

Yep, it's very simple! We have a video that I think will help you out.

Well the part I ordered is slightly too big for the opening to install. So I will need to return. Not sure what to do next...thoughts?
Call a window repair company?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 25A1920C-1F90-48C9-AA97-26FF9117EE33.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid that we don't have a better match for your operator. It appears you might have an older style base, but they don't really make them like this anymore. Would it be possible to alter the sill trim to get the newer style to work? You may want the help of a local professional if you want to try something like that, just to be safe.

How to Replace a Discontinued GU Operator
How to Replace a Discontinued GU Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.